How hard to change dash????

B

boostedj

Hey guys, I am currently trying to get my Supra together and restore/replace all the damaged components from the previous owner. One of the major issues is that the glove box door was broken off and just zap screwed to the dash itself. The bottom of it, where it appears to mount to some sort of composite material under the leatherish material (great desc. right! :biglaugh: ) , seems to be broken off. I think that the composite stuff is the frame for the dash meaning I have to replace the whole thing. Is that correct? and if so can anyone tell me how difficult it is to do this? I have done dashes in several types of vehicles before will this just be another of the same? And if anyone has a blue dash for a 90 Turbo, I might be interested. :naughty:

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Remove the climate control and gauge cluster.

Lower the steering column (17mm bolts) You do not have to remove the steering wheel.

Disconnect speedo cable.

There are not that many bolts holding the dash in really (5-10), just pull and feel around, shouldnt be to hard.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
He's talking about the dash, not the instrument cluster. :)

It's an average PITA to replace. You should be able to repair the glovebox mount with a short length of pipe and some glue or fiberglass easier. Unless there are cracks in the dash and it needs to be replaced anyhow.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
GrimJack said:
He's talking about the dash, not the instrument cluster. :)

It's an average PITA to replace. You should be able to repair the glovebox mount with a short length of pipe and some glue or fiberglass easier. Unless there are cracks in the dash and it needs to be replaced anyhow.

Won't take you longer than an hour to do the first time.

10 mins after that.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
yep. after pulling the dash out of my partscar, which i had done in under 30 mins (and this was the first time), any time after that one, i think i can get the dash out of any mk3 in under a minute and a half. haha

in all seriousness... get an 18v drill and an adapter so you can use 1/4" sockets. then, a deep socket 10mm and an extension will make that dash fall out very quick.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
this is the site for heater core replacement. just follow the instructions for dash removal, and dont touch the heater core. :)

http://duanesmith.nstemp.net/autoheater.html

also, as someone already stated, dont remove the steering wheel. just pull the two nuts off the bottom of it (no sick comments, please ;)) and drop it down onto your driver's seat. it gives you plenty of room to work.

-shaeff

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
supra90turbo said:
yep. after pulling the dash out of my partscar, which i had done in under 30 mins (and this was the first time), any time after that one, i think i can get the dash out of any mk3 in under a minute and a half. haha.

Oh yeah, well how fast can you put it back together??? And you can't have any screws left over!!! :icon_razz

B

boostedj

Thats what I was figuring. The dash itself is in great shape and I would prefer not to get rid of it so maybe I will figure something else out. Thanks for the help.