how do you drain the coolant from the block?

supra_dre

Apr 1, 2005
i know the drain plug is supposedly on the exhaust side, (i think i've seen it), but is it possible to get a wrench in there? And from the looks of it, wouldnt coolant get all over the engine?

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Remove upper and lower coolant hoses from the rad to the engine.

Remove T-stat

Insert a hose into the upper coolant housing where t-stat normally sits, turn water on, drain till water runs clear. :icon_bigg

This will be messy so be ready with some dry towels.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
CO_05.gif

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
uhhh

that drain plug on the exhuast side right next to the EX manifold is only on pre 89 i believe i dont have it on my 89

Lamarossa

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Physically:

Goto an auto parts store & look for a flush kit that connects to a garden hose, Prestone makes one

You would hook up the the hose/kit at the back of the motor where the coolant hose is.

Connect that car hose to the garden hose using the kit with the radiator cap as well as the mentioned bolt/plug at the back of the engine block off.

Turn on the water.

Run the Engine.

That is the most thorough way you can physically do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chemically:
Now there is also a chemical cleaner you can use that is (according to my friend) only available at the dealer. It is supposed to remove any built up crap in the system. As far as the way it was mentioned to me, it is much stronger than what you would get from an Advanced Auto Parts or other stores like that.

SupraStorm1080

IT'S A LIVE!!!
Apr 19, 2006
riverside, SO cal
Can someone take a better whole picture of exactly where the eng block coolant plug is, on a 89+ because i am very confused as to where it is. And also pictures of the coolant hoses oh oh and can you highlight the things to make it easier WHOO HOO thanks

SpeedyIII

Feb 2, 2010
Tacoma
This thread solidified what I was thinking about the location of the drain plug but I have a new question.
What's the easiest way to reach the drain plug? I have no lift but I do have jack-stands.