Lightweight Driveshafts "worth it"?

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
Is there a noticable benefit in going with a lightweight driveshaft? Are there composite/graphite driveshafts available for the MKIII NA 5-Speed? Anyone have a source for a low cost aluminum direct replacement?

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Wow are you in some serious luck. Aluminum driveshaft available from HorsePowerFreaks for only $419 I believe. They ordered it on accident (They meant to order one for turbo). I suggest you get it now before someone else does, once it's gone the $460 original price will be back in effect.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
I have the aluminum 1peice from Suprasport.com, they order from the driveshaft shop.. i'm sure HPfreaks order through the same plac.e
But yes it did make a noticable difference, mostly in the way the clutch engages/starting out..

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
of corse a light weight driveshaft makes a diffrence. would you rather moove a 50 pound object or a 15 pound object? not only that its less weight to get mooving. if ya got the money to get one GET IT NOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
JD7Monster said:
Suprasport told me the stock 2peice weighs 33-38lbs, the aluminum 1peice weighs 13lbs, BIG difference

I weighed mine when I had my tranny being rebuilt. 45 lbs (w/ center support). This was done the non scientific way, my weight holding it - my weight only. :biglaugh:

Anywho, It's a big difference.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i installed mine two weeks ago.i love it.i can notice it mostly down low in the rpm range.it was a driveshaft shop aluminum one

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
supradan the answer is yes,

didnt we discuss the benefits and downsides about this. somethign about inertia at higher speeds?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
supradan22 said:
So theres a diffrence between the turbo and the n/a DS

yes, they're different lengths. i strongly recommend that anyone considering an AL driveshaft, consider a lightweight flywheel FIRST. its a MUCH more noticable difference, and it's felt throughout the rpm range. i love my fidanza.

a lightweight DS makes way LESS of a difference than a lightweight flywheel. the flywheel is a far better investment, for about the same price.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
ma71supraturbo said:
Downside to the flywheel is that its not a simple install and should be paired with a new clutch...

true, very true. good point, my friend :)

-shaeff

supraaddict87

Apr 3, 2005
Morgantown WV
www.geocities.com
I have purchased a lightweight flywheel I got for a good price from a local guy, but have just gone through a rebuild and installed an RPS 6-puck sprung clutch. I didnt really want to tear everything apart right now to install it and have planned a more extensive rebuild in the near future. My question is, will I have any problems using this NEW flywheel with my clutch if it has 3000 miles on it and already broken in on a factory resurfaced flywheel?

sorry for the thread jack,
mike

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
You would have problems with slipping; since the clutch disk is already seated for the factory disk I don't know if it would accept the new perfectly flat flywheel surface.