re-using arps and resurfacing block

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think my stupid piece of crap just blew the headgasket again after 3000 miles

My block was at maximum recommended warpage according to the tsrm so im guessing that's why it happened. My current setup is a stock toyota gakset with arp headstuds... anyway...

1. It's cool to re-use arp headstuds right? I have them currently torqued to 78lbs

2. Also on average how much would i be looking at cost wise for resurfacing the block? Not sure whether or not i plan on pulling the block apart before hand.

LOVE this car :mad:

Interex

Mar 30, 2005
Houston, TX
1. Yes, it's ok to reuse headbolts/studs.

2. Cost Kruso and I about $60/each to have our blocks resufaced. You will have to strip your block completely for them to do it right.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Interex said:
1. Yes, it's ok to reuse headbolts/studs.

2. Cost Kruso and I about $60/each to have our blocks resufaced. You will have to strip your block completely for them to do it right.

lol i hope my machine shop is as generous... between pressure testing and resurfacing my head was like 120 bucks last time.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
You shouldn't be blowing hgs so fast. Do you know why this is happening? maybe you should try a different machine shop

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
well right now im not 100% sure that it's actually blown. The car is just overheating at this point and i've limited the causes down to either the headgasket or a clogged radiator.

If it is blown again it is for 1 of 2 reasons...

1. The block like i said was right at the maximum recommended warpage... We really sat back and made a call on it last time as to whethre or not to pull the block... i really should have... but anyway...

2. I had the hose from my head to the heater control valve pop off one night and drain a shit load of my coolant from the engine. I read on supraforums that a few guys did that and cracked the head. My car didnt overheat but of course anything is possible.

I'm bringing the car over to my friends shop this weekend so i can use his block tester. Maybe compression test too. So i will probably know on saturday. Wish me luck...

EDIT: The first BHG was caused by the dumbass people who sold me the car. They torqued the headbolts down to just about 40 lbs.