Thinkin about going to the dark side....

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Well I've been thinking about going to the dark side and selling all my toys and getting a nice mk4.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be on these boards helping every one out, and my loyalty will still be you mk3 guys...

But frankly Im tired of my mk3 nickel and diming me to death, with little leaks that pop up here and there every time I drive the damn thing, and now a leak that I can't find where its comming from.

Frankly Im over it.

That and Im over the lack of respect us mk3 owners get, on and off the hwy. Some guy the other day asked me if I was a 300zx. DO I LOOK LIKE A F'ING NISSAN????

So what do you guys think? Sell, stay, what what what!?!?!??!!??!

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Reality check:

Maybe you should get a nice mk3, it sounds like yours is falling apart. You'd pay a huge premium for a nice mk4 that doesn't need the same ammount of work your mk3 does.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
My next car WILL BE an MKIV. Period. And....foolish people will still wonder what kinda car I'm driving, cause there are even fewer of those body styles around.

I love driving my MKIII every time I get in it, which is everywhere I go. Its finally all done and no problems. But, its an '89, 16 1/2 years old, and I love the MKIV body.

So....go for it !!!

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
I kinda like the idea that people have no idea what I"m driving, haha, but buying a MK4 isnt really going to the dark side, its still in the family yea know? so I say go for it, just dont forget about the mk3, without the mk3 there would be no MK4, what kind of mk4 youd be looking into anyway? single? twin?

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I get all kinds of respect from folks with my MkIII...I really don't think the MkIV is going to the darkside, either, but more of a matter of taste. I personally wouldn't give up my MkIII cuz I love driving it so much. I also think that ANY project car is going to have some problems with leaks and such. Just a routine matter of when we go messing with stuff, other problems are going to crop up.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Your not going to get diddly squat for your mk3....might as well keep it for a fun weekend driver....and just buy a mk4.

That way you could legitamently stay a mk3 enthusiest and friend :icon_razz

Either way, it will work.

-Jonathan

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
Just as long as you dont turn into a snooty little, thinks his shit dont stink, Puke!!!! But I dont think thats you at all...

Most MKIV's are owned by 18-25 year olds whom had there Mommy by the car, and take it to Toyota for an oil change. again.... I dont think that is you...

To me a Supra is a Supra, and it is most of our goals to someday get one.... So I say: If you have the Money to do it.... then make it happen!!!

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
MDCmotorsports said:
Well I've been thinking about going to the dark side and selling all my toys and getting a nice mk4.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be on these boards helping every one out, and my loyalty will still be you mk3 guys...
Yeah yeah, sure you will. You’ll be on SF MKIV section. That would suck because you are one of the better guys here too, and never with an attitude (as far as I have seen). Btw, awesome write up on the turbo rebuild!
MDCmotorsports said:
…But frankly Im tired of my mk3 nickel and diming me to death, with little leaks that pop up here and there every time I drive the damn thing, and now a leak that I can't find where its comming from…
I know it can be annoying, but really, over a couple of hoses probably? You know how to find an oil leak: clean the engine, then look for leaks after you run it briefly. Maybe there is more to it in your case?
MDCmotorsports said:
…That and Im over the lack of respect us mk3 owners get, on and off the hwy. Some guy the other day asked me if I was a 300zx. DO I LOOK LIKE A F'ING NISSAN????...
As far as being recognized:
I love when people can’t recognize my car – that is my favorite compliment when someone does not know what it is. That was the same when I had my MK2: some people had no clue what it was, but for its beauty and rareness, one guy thought it was some kind of exotic. I don’t want a car that is well known, if I wanted that I would have bought a Camaro or a Mustang. I want something that you don’t see everyday; that gives it a bit of exclusiveness.

As far as respect:
What do you think people will do? All wave to you because you all of the sudden have an MK4? I drove an Acura NSX before (my friends), it turned heads, but I would not want that all the time. For me at least, I think I would stop caring if others on the road approved/disapproved within a week of having a certain machine. When I bought my MK3 six years ago, I thought I was the only enthusiast for those things. I did not really care if others liked it or not – I knew what it was and that was enough for me.
MDCmotorsports said:
…So what do you guys think? Sell, stay, what what what!?!?!??!!??!
At this point, you know where I stand. But then again, you probably know what you want more than I do.

Eh Just give it a shot finding those leaks and keep it for a bit. You just got it a couple of months ago, of course you will find a couple bugs.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you can wait. Toyota is coming out with a new Mk V Supra in a year or two.
Its rumoured to have a V8 and compete with the 350Zs at the low end models and the Skylines at the high end. Toyota isn't saying much about it and only a few people have seen a prototype of it or the Lexas $100K Supra.
That'll drop the MkIV prices and maybe make them more available.
Its real hard to find a Mk IV at a decent price.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
ya man, its not the dark side, its the same name lol just newer. I love the mk4, looks sweet as hell, I say go for it, change is good sometimes you konw, whatever makes you happy, other ppls decision wont make you happy ;)

Oh ya and I beat you all, some guy said. WTF is your car...is that a Porsche ? lol, sure, check out the huge round lights short and fat body, with 2 big bulgin fenders looking like a frog lol....Supras look nothing like a Porsche...well maybe those early 924s...but far from a 911/996 etc..

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
oh god.. toyota is NOT engineering another supra at this time. search around here and sf, and you'll find all the relevant info. IF they do come out with anything, it will be under lexus, won't look like a supra at all and cost upwards of 100k. personally, i think they should throw a turbo on the v8 06' gs and call it a day. that car is teh pure sexxx.

anyway, MDCmotorsports, i say keep the mkiii and buy the mkiv. you'll miss the mkiii sooner or later. nuff said about that.

while your at it buy an mkii and mki as well. :)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
if you want a sweet ride you wont worry about for a while get hte mkIV sorry to say it but if i had the means, yea i would jump on it.

but hey its up to you, if possible try to keep the mkIII for us.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
aye mate said:
Dude...This is SM...=....MkIII board....

I say pull the motor and build a MKIV killer!

I already did. Thats whats pissing me off!

Tony, thanks for the input and not just typing a bunch of letters like I have seen some members do on other posts.

:icon_bigg

Any who, I have tried and tried the method of seing where the leak is. I even put the car up on a sky lift. Started car, let it warm up, NOTHING!

Its dripping right from the bell housing of the R154 tranny.

Just getting a little fed up of little things pissing me away you know?

And to who ever said I would go back to Sf.com....

BITE ME. :icon_evil

I would be the only mk4 guy on here asking questions to all of us mk3 guys.

LOL.

Any who, chances are its not gonna happen. Talked with my insurance guy today..... YEAH RIGHT. $350 a month with my perfect record for partial / liability insurance only?

I DONT' THINK SO.

Any body else have any ideas on how to find an oil leak, let me know.

Any body other than that, thanks for the kinds words, and....

IM NOT going any where!

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
for the mkiv -

MDCmotorsports: you probably won't want to switch insurance companies, but if you wanted to you could always find a company that will give you a policy where your limited to like 9k miles a year where you should only be paying about $350.00 a year, or somewhere around there.

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
where is the leak location? I have fixed many oil leaks on supras... the most over looked spot is the CPS o ring.....

Good to hear you are not giving up on us yet!!!

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I'm dealing with a leak that "looks" like it's from the back of the engine, but what's really going on is either I'm blowing oil out the dipstick tube (Did not replace the O ring on the dip stick holder....) or it's leaking at the turbo oil drain back, and seeping down the block, running back along the pan rail, and then catching the bellhousing junction and dripping down. It is a very minor leak, and I think it's from oil being blown out the dipstick hole. (I was running 12 quarts of oil on this new setup, and now at 10 quarts, it is still too full for high RPM running extended periods.)

The other places it could leak is from the rear galley plug, or one of the other small plugs in the main galley. That are a biotch to find if it's a slow leak.

My engine does not make it easy as the thermal dispersant is a shiny black, and just looks wet all the time anyway. (Leaking oil pretty much blends in untill dust is stuck to the oil.)

If you can possibly handle it, stick with the MK3. I was at the drags last night, there were many MK4's there and a few MK3's. Most of the MK3's are ratted out, and getting old, but a few, like mine, are in great shape. And I got ton's of people coming up asking about the car. (The 18" wheels with 14" brakes behind them attracts alot more attention than I thought it would. Otherwise my car is "stock" appearing.)

I did not build this car for the looks, or the "looks great" comments, but they are nice to get, that's for sure. When this car is done, and painted, it will be even better I'm sure. (And the interior is done, but right now it does not look bad, but is a 1988 car.)

I'm actually thinking of stripping down an 87 NA hardtop body, cleaning it out, welding up the struture, adding a few reinforcements, and after it's all painted, transferring over my engine/trans and the best parts from both cars to end up with a basicly new vehicle. (I don't car if it's a 88 or 87, and having a NA VIN would be easy to insure... LOL) The hardtop is what catches my attention. Lighter, and stronger, and with some mods, much stronger than any Targa car will ever be..

I say, keep the MK3, and enjoy the thing. If you want a MK4, buy one, but you might find they are just as problematic as our cars in the long run.

On the "new" Supra? LOL If one comes out, it will be a Lexus, and cost more than two old Turbo's combined. It will also be a NA V8 car, as I don't see Toyota building another turbo car any time soon. (Possibly some kind of direct fuel injection, or supercharging, but no turbo's.)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've got news for you. The Mk4 Supra will nickel and dime you to death as well. So it's only 10 years old instead of 15... it's still more than old enough that all the little stuff is starting to go.