oil smoke after 5mins of starting at random times

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Im experiencing some strange oilburning episodes.Usually after i start the car and let it warm up (2mins)and start to drive approx 3-5mins into the drive when im stopped at idle there is smoke coming out the exh.The smoke is like white smoke with some bluish hue to it.It seems to last only 30seconds that i have noticed.Now the motor is 7mgte rebuilt less than 5000kms ago,hiflo'd ct26 (less than 40k old) brand new rebuilt head with new valvestem seals,auto,blitz airfilter,blits dsbc,apex bov,trust 3"exh.It seems to happen after i have given it a bit of a "high spirited" drive of around 10-20mins,cruising at around 100-180kms.I let the timer idle for around 3-5mins depending on how fast i was going.the oil i am using is penrite 15w-60w.I was told by the autoshop guy to stick to the same brand of oil as each manufacturer used different detergents,additives etc and u cant fully flush them out at oilchanges.I also change the oil every 2000kms and has come out dark brown but not black(if this helps) Ive had valvestem seals fail in the past and this is not them(i dont think so anyway).I am worried that it may be the turbo oilseal that has/is failing at times.Sorry if this question seems a little long but i want to give asmuch information as i can.Any help/ideas will be much appreciated
Thanks Mik.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
is the smoke thick? when it is smoking does the car seem to idle like crap?

look under your oil cap, see any water?

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
idles fine nice and smooth,no missesaround 650rpm.no water loss,no water in the oil so no blown hadgasket (got a metal layered one sprayed with hylomar blue)as for the smoke its not bellowing out or anything,just noticable in the side mirrors.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Probably leaky valve stem seals if you ask me....sounds like what mk3_300 is experiancing on his 120K mile motor ( no BHG yet!!)....it puffs smoke on start up and while under HARD driving...

or your piston rings might be going....is this a NEW motor or just a head rebuild after the BHG? :icon_conf

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ITs not valve stem seals Jon... sorry. They smoke on startup.

This sounds more like a leaky seal in the turbo, front or rear. Also, check to make sure your intercooler isn't full of oil from it sucking oil from the valve covers.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ive cleaned out my intercooler using petrol and reinstalled it.there is a little film of oil in the compressor snout of my turbo and inside the ic pipes but nothing abnormal.I thinking it could be the breathers that got excess oil in them and its burning up after i restart the car *shrugs*.hope its not my turbo but i have a stock ct26 rebuilt with 200kms on it that i can put in,only thing is it makes me angry that it runs out of puff after 120km/h and 3500rpm its out of puff.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
are you sure the smoke is coming from your exhaust?

check under your car, look for a red sap looking substance. check your exhaust, spacifically around the second cat. if there is a black sappy substance or something cooked on, it is your automatic transmission fluid. of course i am assuming by your profile you have an automatic transmission. check your transmission fluid level make sure it is at the right level.

White smoke will blow out of the back with a leak like this, but when you are parked it should come out of the sides.

will cost probably $170 and an hour or so of work at an honest transmission shop (the work is not fun to do by yourself i wouldnt recommend it) make sure the fluid is at the right level, have them correct it. also make sure your speedometer works after you leave.. the line is often taken apart to get to it.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Just a update on this problem.There has been no more smoking since i first wrote about this problem.My transmission wasnt leaking and the smell i was told by my friend and i can smell it was oily smoke.Hopefully if it was the tranny then it will no longer happen as i have now got a r154 :D

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I'm just curious (and by the way I sincerely hope the problem never returns) have you done a compression test cylinder by cylinder? Cause it sounds like a problem I had a couple of years ago...i.e. only smokes intermitantly and then mysteriously disappears and the reappears and then disappearts...etc. On my car I discovered (after tearing it down cause it was making me nuts) one piston ring that had not seated properly and was experiencing blow by depending on exactly where the ring was. There is a little room for movement around the piston as it sits in its groove and this particular ring had a little too much movement as far as we could theororize. I hope that's not the case with yours. Good luck!

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
I havnt done the compression test as yet but i will do it.The motor has now had 3000kms on it and ive changes the oil at 1000kms intervals along with the filter. 15w-60 penrite mineral based.Not a big fan of synthetics as i tried it once and it all leaked out my seals.Yesterday when i left work and i hit 2nd my lsd kicked in for the first time in many months :p and i was smokin up doing snakeys up the road.car was pumpin out a lil oil smoke but thats only under WOT and didnt smoke when i had stopped. *shrugs*
must be on her rags.She can be tempermental at times i guess.