Megasquirt II stand alone reprogramable ECU.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
http://www.msefi.com/index.php

Thats the forum.

I will be updating this thread as I get ready to install the system. I will/should be the first mk3 turbo to do this, although some mr2 and AE86 guys have successfully done it.

One of the big hurdles is getting a good spark....I am going with a chevy or ford coil pack....smaller and more spark.

This should be a couple of months in the process...pretty much rewiring the whole wiring harness.

My brother the wiring expert is going to help as well, becuase he will get his megasquirt II and try some ITB's on his 300zx.

wish us luck,

Jonathan Mann

PS: its about time I get serious with this stuff eh? :icon_razz

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
Good luck with the Megasquirt II stand alone Ecu. I know if anyone can do it u and your brother can. Keep all of us posted on the good progress u make.

Pete

R

revolutionary

I just built a megasquirt for a guy and it was a lot easier than I expected. Just follow the directions. The only probs I had were some of the parts were backordered for a couple weeks. I have the system up and running on the stimulator with my computer at home and we just need to build the car wiring harness now.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I thought your brother did a TT swap on his 300zx. If he did, how would it be practicle to have an individual throttle body setup (ITB's)?

If you get one built and running on your supra, we'll need to do it on mine next. ;)

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
DrakeMK3 said:
I thought your brother did a TT swap on his 300zx. If he did, how would it be practicle to have an individual throttle body setup (ITB's)?

If you get one built and running on your supra, we'll need to do it on mine next. ;)

We havent done, or will ever do the VG30DETT swap...the motor is too heavy and too expensive to tune...talk about buying 4 cams....and ECU tune for that thing ugh....its rediculous.

We are shooting for an SR20DET swap. Just like some Mk4's had the 3sgte swapped into them. Its lighter, can sit further back in the engine bay which means better center of gravity...handling improves....car is lightened by about 150lbs easy.

But if no SR20DET, its an SR20VET the variable valve timing turbo motor....

or just put ITB's on the VG30DE that he has now and run the megasquirt ECU with it to do custom fuel maps....

but as of right now, since the Greddy Emanage Ultimate just came out like a week ago....its plug and play....and my supra is a daily driver.......unless I find another better paying job and buy a used car for DD, I cant have my supra down for another week fidiling with ignition mappings etc....

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
You have to run a GM or Ford ignition system ( coil packs) or wire in an MSD or some other coil or direct ignition system....not hard since its a stand alone system.....whereas on a greddy emanage is a piggy back...you must RETROFIT stuff to work..

the HARD part about the megasquirt is tuning. I am 50% on this becuase my car is a daily driver...the Emanage Ultimate sounds like a BETTER deal for me out of the box...unless I win a free car sometime soon :naughty:

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
A guy I work with bought a Megasquirt ECU for his kit car project. I had a look at the unit and the first thing that I noticed is that the quality is just not there. It may be a lot cheaper than a haltec or a AEM, but it looks like some guys garage radio shack experiment to me.

I cant say for sure about the quality and reliability of the unit because I have never installed one, but after installing haltech's units and even the emanage unit, there is a obvious difference there.

Although, it does seem like there is a lot of valuable user support on their website.

Just my 2 cents

Ryan

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Where did you hear that you need more spark? I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the 7M has a more than adequate ignition energy.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it works for you.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The Megasquirt is a "garage do it yourself" standalone....if you go to the friggen forum and website you would completely understand that from the get go.....there is no "big company" making them....50%+ of them are made by the person that is putting it on their car...though now a small team of guys at a shop somewhere in the SE are making them for $500 with the harness ( that you must splice into the stock wiring harness). People have made programs and tuning programs plus tuning devices for them, so many that its now EASY and CHEAP to go stand alone.....

Alot of people would rather pay a premium on buying EMS's....where as some ( like me and my brother ) like to make our own and have that sense of pride and accomplishment that we know how to do this and that and so on.

And plus, the MSII is just as capable if not MORE SO than alot of other EMS's on the market. And plus its MAP sensor based....gets rid of that ugly AFM (as for the Emanage Ultimate and AEM unit too).

As for the 7m's stock ignition and firing, yes its "adequite"....but not by much.

Most high HP 7m's need a larger spark for the copper plugs they run....like duane running the MSD coils and Ron running his motec controlled 2jz/1jz coil packs.

And when you say adequite I hope you are remembering that yours on your car is at LEAST 14 years old.......would you run a 14 year old ignition on your 600hp 7m??

I think not.

my point :wavey:

-Jonathan

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I've also heard the same thing about our ignitions being an UPGRADE for for many cars including higher horsepower grand nationals.

In any case, this build-it-yourself standalone has a definite appeal to me.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
As for the 7m's stock ignition and firing, yes its "adequite"....but not by much.

Most high HP 7m's need a larger spark for the copper plugs they run....like duane running the MSD coils and Ron running his motec controlled 2jz/1jz coil packs.

And when you say adequite I hope you are remembering that yours on your car is at LEAST 14 years old.......would you run a 14 year old ignition on your 600hp 7m??

I think not.

my point

As long as it's working properly it doesn't matter if the system is 50 years old. I think the factory system has adequate juice for high power levels. The shortfall is lack of controllability IMO.

Keeps us updated on your progress though.....pics pics pics. :D

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
LOL man, I havent even gathered the dough to purchase it yet....and since the Emanage Ultimate came out.....that might be just what I am looking.

YES, I could wire the MSII to my wiring harness
YES, I could tune it to the 7mgte
YES, It would not be hard to do...rather its fairly easy with all the programs and laptop tunability that goes with it.
YES, I could put a custom coil pack set up ( like bigaaron did ) with the 1jz coils.

BUT the thing that holds me against the MSII is the time to get the car up and running and running RIGHT in a matter of a couple of days...not weeks.

It is my daily driver. :1zhelp: