Mobil ATF for PS fluid

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
Hi guys,
My toyota dealer is saying that the Mobil 1 ATF fluid I am using is desintegrating my high pressure rubber lines from the inside and the hose costs $500 and they want me to replace it even though I replaced it two years ago. I am wondering what power steering fluid is the best for the supras and why my reservoir screen is plugging up once and a while. Is anybody else having reservoir troubles at all and would Mobil 1 affect the ps system due to additives and it not being Dexron III. I also am interested to see what most of you guys use in your power steering.

Thanks

Last edited:

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Mobil 1 ATF will not rot your hoses from the inside. I've run that fluid for 10 years and my high-pressure line is still good. A new pressure line certainly doesn't cost $500 in any case.

Have you inspected the crud that's clogging your screen? There are seals that could be disintegrating, or maybe parts of the pump.

Asterix

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
Hi,
I have checked around and the cheapest I can get the hose is $250 USD ($350 CDN) and it is two lines that run beside each other and are coming out from the hard lines and go all the way to the rack. I have replaced them before and they are massive and a big job to do. I don't think the Mobil 1 could do this to the steering system but what seals could be causing this. The symptoms are little black particles in the power steering fluid that slowly accumulate to clog the reservoir. I have the car at the toyota dealer and right now they have a new pump put on and it still hard hard steering and black crud in brand new fluid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
I also forgot to say that they flushed the entire system with 15 litres of ATF and this problem still exists.

Thanks for all your help and any replys would be appreciated.

Geoff

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
My steering was just fine, and no leaks. I like to change oils on every used car I get. I removed the DexIII that was in it (what its supposed to be) and used Amsoil ATF (DexIII replacement stuff).....One month later I blew the left seal out on the rack. I don't recommend using synthetics on older systems.

Now with my NEW rack, and flushed system, I only use Dex III .