PVC IC piping

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Well.. after reading over the writeup on JBLMKIII.com, i decided i'm gonna attempt this..
I went out to home depot tonite an bought all the necessary equipment, PVC, 45º bends. I think i'm gonna try it saturday.
Only thing is the 45º peices I ended upw ith arent the same as he used, so i'm gonna have to toy with the measurements a bit.. But it should all work out..
Any suggestions from anyone whos done this?
Tips? tricks?
Any help is appreciated :)

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Me and my buddy both did this mod. I used the long 45s and he used just normal shorter ones. Came out pretty good for both of us. Just be sure to put your muscles on for some "custom fitting"

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
when i blew one of the stock crappy plastic pipes appart i just bought some canadian tire crush bent exhaust piping and cut it to fit. with a nice coat of paint they look and work great. i just dont know how much i would trust pvc. :biglaugh:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
:nono: :nono:

its shit like this that gives mk3 owners a bad name.... works or not...it just shouldnt be done...and im not getting into whether it works or not either....

:3d_frown: :3d_frown:

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not, so could you explain how it gives MK3 owners a bad name?
It seems like a pretty good upgrade for less than 30$.. for those of us who cant afford 200-300$ for custom metal pipes..

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Ideal is just being a butt. ;)

If it works, it works. I have tried it on a previous supra and mine seemed to pop off on me a lot, but it was probably due to incorrect preparation. Instead, I learned how to weld and welded up some nice mandrel bent 2.5" metal pipes that feed through the snorkel hole.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
dont mind Ideal, I understand him tho, it does look ... fisher price (since its platic like) and a nice metal or aluminium one seems so much more professional.

But hey, i say, if its better than stock, and your on a budget and it dosnt hurt the car..why the fuck not do it ?? right ?

some poeple forget that some Supra owners are on budget, some are students, and trust me, if id still be on a budget id go for 30$ pvc ic piping, but since im not, im going mendrel steel..plus i weld so.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Don't use the pvc for the lower IC pipe, it will MELT.

As for the tops, go to your local exhaust shop, and get some exhaust piping that will BARELY fit into the ends of the PVC.

Cut about 3" length of exhaust pipe and insert about 1/8" into the end of the PVC... heat the PVC with a heat gun and gently push down. The exhaust pipe will slide right up into the PVC.

Why do this? Because if you don't, when the PVC gets warm from the engine and boost, the ends will crush from the hoseclamps.

Good luck & enjoy!

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Thats what i'm talkin about, thanks for the sugg. MDC motorsports, i might just do the upper one in PVC, paint it a nice color so it doesnt look toyish, and use exhaust piping for the lower ICpipe..
I'm also thinking about wrapping the turbo in that special "Turbo Blanket" they sell.. to lower underhood temps.. good idea?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
JD7Monster said:
Thats what i'm talkin about, thanks for the sugg. MDC motorsports, i might just do the upper one in PVC, paint it a nice color so it doesnt look toyish, and use exhaust piping for the lower ICpipe..
I'm also thinking about wrapping the turbo in that special "Turbo Blanket" they sell.. to lower underhood temps.. good idea?

Yes its a good idea, but not nessesarry (sp????).

Also, make sure you use the grey PVC not the white. Its thicker, and will handle a whole lot more heat than the white.

Last, you can use a Rustoleum "hammered" finish paint, that will look just like cast aluminum.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yep, thats what the JBLMK3 site suggested, i'm gonna try it.

I think anything to lower the underhood temps will help.. as I live in FL, and it needs every bit of help it can get.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
JD7Monster said:
Yep, thats what the JBLMK3 site suggested, i'm gonna try it.

I think anything to lower the underhood temps will help.. as I live in FL, and it needs every bit of help it can get.

man i better not hear you bitch about being in Florida :aigo:
I live in Québec Canada, so 6months out of 12, i cant drive the Supra...SNOW :cry: , plus there is salt that ruins our cars with rust....ah, I only wish I was in Florida, your cars must have no rust whatsoever

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Actually, Florida has sand, salt water, etc. that can make it a horrible climate for cars. My first supra came from Florida and it looked like it had been drug across a riverbed. For a no rust atmosphere, talk to the guys in AZ. No humidity makes them a prime candidate for rustless cars.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I did this mod on my supra when I first got it since I was saving for a much more extensive rebuild and this was something to kill time and have fun with. Here's what I learned;

It IS better than stock. The lower pipe WILL melt unless you use metal inserts around the clamping points and paint it with a few coats of high temp paint (possibly not necessary). The upper pipes won't melt but they will deform after heavy boosting unless you also reinforce them with metal inserts. For this I just went to autozone and got the biggest exhaust pipe piece that would still fit inside the pvc pipe, then used the pvc primer/glue to secure them inside the pipe. Sand the area where you will be glueing just enough to create a rough surface for the bond to hold well.

After several 14psi runs, the pipes were still very cool to the touch! Butt dyno definitely felt like I reduced my spoolup time and there was less drop-off throughout the band.

Other than that, you can't go wrong for $30 as long as you realize its not a replacement for mandrel bent piping.

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
I've had them for 1-1/2 years and love them, yes I used a 2" metal long radius conduit on the lower. They haven't melted down or popped off ever and the improvement over stock was impressive, and I'm at about 400hp. Personally I'd rather spend money on differant mods than fancy looking IC piping.

Poatree

May 14, 2005
Edmonton
www.shiftin.com
My friend used 1 section of pvc about as long as a 3000 pipe in his 21psi DSM and it blew out as soon as it got hot and the plastic lost some strength. I don't know what psi you guys are going to be running but can't you get metal piping for under 300 bucks?