My error code 51 is driving me nuts

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I've changed my TPS, so I'm almost certain that it isn't causing the error code. I'm starting to think that it's being caused by a faulty A/C switch.

Isn't the motor supposed to surge a little when the A/C turned on? Also, isn't the A/C switch on the thermostat housing?

I've got to figure this out. I fixed a BHG back in January, but after I got the motor back together, I had the code 51 problems that's keeping me from correctly setting timing. It's running pig rich all the time.

Thanks,
Mark

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
you changed the TPS, but did you calibrate it per the TSRM? i completely pulled out all of my A/C and didnt throw a code 51...

-shaeff

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
My A/C is all busted up, would it only do the code if you tried to use it, because I don't try to use mine and I don't have any codes.

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
Twigger said:
My A/C is all busted up, would it only do the code if you tried to use it, because I don't try to use mine and I don't have any codes.

it is most likely NOT your AC and more likely your TPS.

tho its most definatley possible to have a code 51 stemmed from an Air Conditioning Issue..ive never heard of it that way. Its always been TPS.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
shaeff said:
you changed the TPS, but did you calibrate it per the TSRM? i completely pulled out all of my A/C and didnt throw a code 51...

-shaeff

To the best of my ability, but there is that margin of error. I should say that I believe it is, but I wouldn't bet a nickle on it.

I for the A/C, it's definitely charged. I had it fully serviced a few weeks ago, the summers in Florida demand it.

The reason I ask about the A/C switch is two fold. First, all the cars i've ever owned would raise the idle slightly when the A/C is turned on to offset the additional load on the motor. Right now, mine isn't. Second, before gooing through the BHG repair, I didn't have any codes. During the reassembly, I cracked a sensor on the thermostat housing. From what I could tell only the plastic housing cracked, with all the wires inside intact.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
If you are having trouble setting the ignition timing, the IDL switch in the TPS is not closed with the throttle closed. Adjust the TPS so that the switch is closed, you will be able to set the base timing then.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Alright, I screwed with the TPS all weekend, but it still gives me error. I did adjust it to a point were it doesn't trip as fast, but it still isn't calibrated. I tried using both of the TPS's I have but nothing. Any ideas?