leaky snail shell

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
oil in the intake and exhaust, new to turbos so I need advice. is it better to rebuild or take a chance with somebody elses?

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Wiggle your turbo shaft up and down, and in and out. Remove the intake pipe to get at it. If it's floppy and you can feel free play the turbo needs a rebuild.

How many miles on her?

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
jdm so who knows... very little radial play and no axial. I've been reading and it looks like I just need new seals, so if anybody has any recomendations on how I should get this done, lemme know. as far as the intake manifold.... I'm not following ya

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
Follow the hoses from your valve covers. One goes into your throttle body, another goes into the intake pipe. Any oil vapor gets sucked either into the manifold directly (no boost) or into the intake pipe (turbo producing boost).

It's not uncommon for a lot of oil to get through the system this way. Since your turbocharger seems tight, and the seals in a turbo are the non-contact type, do a compression or a leak down test.

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
the compression is all good. I've decided it's the blown seals (too much oil for vapors, it's pissing out the turbo flange), it's gotta be. what should I look for when finding a shop to replace the seals? how much should I look to pay, should I have anything else done at this time. also where do I find the exhaust gases cheap? the turbo elbow gasket alone is 60 bux.