Tuboing the 7mge

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
I have an 87 supra NA and i am getting parts together to turbo i know what you are going to say 7mgte but i have two complete 7mge engines and i know that decent HP can be had from this engine.

OK here is the plan
I am going to get the stock manifold for now
ct26 rebuilt not sure of ar setup i am going to use yet
RC 550cc injectors
SAFC
Custom IC pipes
Megan Racing intercooler
Not sure which blow off valve to use
FPR
Wideband O2 setup
Complete rebuild 7MGE
new clutch and Light Weight flywheel
MBC
PowerDyne rad
Electric fans

what else should i get?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
there was a thread on the old SM that had showed everything you needed. to do what you are going to do, 1/2NA-T. i got all the pics, ill post them tomarrow, if you want. I cant remeber who did this but it was the first pic/writeup on the 1/2NA-T conversion. I remeber him saying that it is best to do a complete rebuild rather than just upper.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've done the full '87 NA-T engine conversion.
I got a Japanese block/head and bored the cylinders. The N/A and T block and head are the same. The intake from the air filter to, and including, the upper intake piping are different and the ignition is different.
I had a turbo motor and just did a swap of all the different parts. I still have the W58 tranny.
I believe this was the easiest way to do it.
If you're going with the just the turbo mod, you might want to get all aftermarket stuff, including the turbo, so you don't have to buy the aftermarket stuff later when you decide the stock stuff isn't enough. There isn't a huge power difference between the turbo and N/A when I did the mod. And I rebuilt and upgraded my CT26 turbo but used the stock boost.
The airflow meter (AFM) is different, so I suggest going straight to the Lexas mod with a K&N filter, especially since you're going with 550cc injectors. The NA has the flapper meter which restricts air flow. The bolt pattern on the AFM to the filter box is also different, so you can't use the N/A filter on the Lexas or T AFM.
You'll need a new exhaust system, except the catalytic converter. If you get an exhaust system, be sure to get match it with your catalytic converter. The NA catalytic converter is shorter (or maybe that was longer) by an inch. So it may be better to get a new Cat or a test pipe too.
Oh....the T has an oil cooler and an oil line that runs to the turbo. The oil cooler is probably a good idea. Besides the CT26 turbo needs the oil for lubrication and added cooling.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i would use the complete GTE ignition system. that means ECU as well. not only will it work better on a boosted motor, but it will make your life a hell of a lot easier when it comes to tuning. IMO.

GTE ECU
GTE wire harness
GTE AFM
GTE CPS
GTE ignitor
GTE ummm thats probably all you will need.

oo youll have to do something about a GE block only have one knock sensor. the two spaces for the knock sensors are there, but i dont know if they are tapped or what on the GE block.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
oo youll have to do something about a GE block only have one knock sensor. the two spaces for the knock sensors are there, but i dont know if they are tapped or what on the GE block.

heh come on IJ its your turn to contribute! (yeah, i could have written it my self by now i suppose......)

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I have an 87 turbo 5spd that I'm probably gonna begin parting out here as soon as I know my 89 is running properly and I don't need any of the parts. ECU, wiring harness, ignitor, cps all worked great when the car ran. (needs a new cps cap and seal which is like $10 for both)

PM me if you're interested

Last edited:

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
cam position sensor, it has a plastic dust cover (cps cap) and there is a seal between the cap and the actual cam position sensor. It sticks out of the side of the head (exaust/pasenger side) at the very front of the engine behind the timing cover. Has a black plastic cap, and it's like round with a plug on it.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
lagged said:
buddy youre in over your head if you dont know what a CPS is.

how is he in over his head, as long as he is will to try its better than him not trying. lagged no flame intended.:icon_bigg

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The cam position sensor (CPS) on the GTE replaces the distrubuter on a GE. It locates the position of the cams and crank for the computer for ignition timing.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
D34DC311 said:
how is he in over his head, as long as he is will to try its better than him not trying. lagged no flame intended.:icon_bigg

no offense taken :)

i didnt mean any either so dont think i was trying to be a jerk. my point is to simply READ as much as you can.

read what you ask? why the TSRM of course......

supratsrm.com

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I think I forgot to mention that the throttle linkages (and throttle body) are also different (if I remember correctly).
I'm not sure if you can use the GE throttle body with the all GTE set-up. I just swapped everything. I would guess that the upper intake manifold matches the throttle body but I couldn't say so for sure.

I'm with Lagged, I suggest swapping everything. The direct fire ignition is suppose to be much better than the distrubuter. And if you're going to tune the ignition, its a must.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
When someone abreviats something what is it called?
like Cam Pos. Sensor. CPS <--- damnit whats the name for that?

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
guys guys guys. Did you pay attention to these pics? This is an NA car with a turbo strapped to it. Notice that the AFM , throttle body and everything is NA not turbo. How is this possible. I didnt think the NA puter would be able to compensate for the differences in the turbo cars. Does this car have a standalone system or what?