Ticking and Smoke

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
So, since I usually don't post on here, but there's more people on this website and I need info, I'll give ya'll the low-down.

Purchased an 89 turbo auto with a rebuilt head (to factory specs with new parts). Pulled the engine (blown rings) and slapped the new head on my 87 engine, attached the 87 r-154 tranny and dropped it in. New toyota gaskets (including head gasket) and ARP studs torqued to 80 ft-lb's. I used the 87 turbo since there was oil on all the pistons in the 89 block, and I figure it may have been blown turbo seals. So...to be safe I'm using the 87. Mods...K&N intake (got the ddp but it's not on yet).

Today I finally finished it up and started the car. Purred real nice, had a small coolant leak from a hose I forgot to tighten the clamp on, and the power steering was whining from low fluid. Fixed those 2 things and fired her up again. Everything seems to run smooth except the head is ticking like CRAZY. At idle it's not so bad, but it's noticable, anything above idle and it just gets worse (it speeds up with the engine rpm). Valve clearances? cams...I don't know. So, opinions on what to do with that would be appreciated.

Also, there's a tinge of smoke coming out the tailpipe. Now, it's not blue, and it's not pure white, it's more of a grey, but it doesn't smell like antifreeze. I'm thinking that maybe it just needs to run some more or something, and then it'll calm down a bit. It might just have slight blow-bye on the rings since the bottom end has 104k on it. I'm running mobil 1 10w-30 with a mobil 1 filter and toyota red coolant with water wetter.

Suggestions/info/ideas would be great. Thanx for the help

p.s. I'll be compression checking it in the next few days and I'll let you know what I find.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Is this a new sound that was not present when the head was on the previous block?
The injectors make a ticking sound, is that what your hearing?
The valve have a clearance that needs to be set or they will make noise, but again did the tick sound happen befor?

As far as the smoke, sounds like it could just be crap that needs to be burned off/blown out. it could also be that your running rich.

If you had thebattery disconnected it could be that the ECU need to relearn, that could make the car run rich.

Did you check to see if you have any error codes?

you may want to perform a leak down test as opposed to a compression test

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
We can't remember for the life of us if it was ticking on the old block. Probably because we bought the car, drove it onto the trailer, then drove it off and right into the garage for disassembly. It doesn't seem to be smoking now, so i'm thinking after a few laps around the house (no plates or insurance) the computer figured out what was up, but i'm gonna run a check on that tonight. I'm pretty sure it's just the shims in the head need adjusted. Where can I get new shims?

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
anybody know where I can get new shims so the cam's will stop ticking? and how hard are they to install? I read the TSRM and it doesn't seem difficult but I don't want to get myself into something that's gonna take me a lifetime.

Anybody?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
the toyota dealer, im in the same predicament as you my valves tick like mofo's i just need a set of shimms to make it all good, search valve ticking we discussed this before, you just need the service tool that is like 30 bucks and a set of shims, or just take your shims , check what you need shaved off and go to machine shop.

from what i have researched its not too hard its just takes measuring each valve one by one and going back measuring one by one. if you find a cheep place that sells them let us know.