When I go Over 100 The check engine light comes on

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
I've noticed when I'm on the hwy and I downshift and go, the check engine light comes on. then I let off and it goes away. Its not fuelcut. the car never skipps a beat. I'm gonnna pull some codes and see what the hell is going on. Maybe its telling me not to speed so much :D

Last edited:

Johnny Dangerously

I can eat planets
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX..
PIONEER said:
I've noticed when I'm on the hwy and I downshift and go, the check engine light comes on. then I let off and it goes away. Its not fuelcut. the car never skipps a beat. I'm gonnna pull some codes and see what the hell is going on. Maybe its telling me not to speed so much :D

sounds like the begining to a knock sensor code. happened to me a few years ago.

i could be wrong, but ya never know.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
maybe code 24 - air temp sensor (AFM module). I had a similar instance with my car when i first got her running. I'd get on her pretty hard and the light would come on, then go back out - no change in performance. KS issues will pull timing

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
You think that could be the reason why my Gas Gauge drops 1 notch when I have a good boost Run :p . I'll check the codes out on that thing. I have enough knock sensors so I'll just swap them mofos. Now if its the rear one, Damn the starter.......

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
It could be code 42 " No speed signal to the ECU" this happens when you sit between 2500rpm and 4000rpm for over 8 secs. Just a thought cause thats what I had.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
not to be a dick but the obvious solution would be not driving over 100mph. Unless we are talking about the track there is no reason for you to ever being going that fast.

couldnt resist :)

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
cramerizking said:
not to be a dick but the obvious solution would be not driving over 100mph. Unless we are talking about the track there is no reason for you to ever being going that fast.

couldnt resist :)

What was no REASON for your POST..........

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
there wasnt aside from pointing out the fact that you shouldnt be driivng over 100 mph on public roads. Because if that is the case... you are a douche bag.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
cramerizking said:
there wasnt aside from pointing out the fact that you shouldnt be driivng over 100 mph on public roads. Because if that is the case... you are a douche bag.

bro look at yourself first. if you don't go 1MPH faster then the speed limit, then you say whatever you want. otherwise STFU.

And the 100MPH is a misfigure on my part. I should've said when I downshift from 5th to 3rd and go hard, the check engine light comes on. Now, i don't know about your car but on the Cressida with a W58 Tranny and 3.91 rearend thats about 65-90Mph

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
If you didn't want to be going fast you shouldn't have bought a supra... 100 mph is nothing for our cars... a forums for toyota supras is the wrong place to tell someone not to speed :\

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
going that fast can be dangerous to other people on the road

that being said - this isn't a thread to debate the morality or legality of doing so. What is said on the internet will not dissuade anyone from not doing it. Only a close call or personal experience will keep them from doing so.

PIONEER

Wallet Wide Open
Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, Nc
Squid699 said:
going that fast can be dangerous to other people on the road

that being said - this isn't a thread to debate the morality or legality of doing so. What is said on the internet will not dissuade anyone from not doing it. Only a close call or personal experience will keep them from doing so.

Squid, if thats the case, you should've stayed N/A

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I agree with Pioneer on this it's a case of
"He who is without sin cast the first stone"

The Supra by it's very nature is prone to creeping over the limit so I doubt there's an owner here who has never sped on a public road!

Having said that there's a time and a place if you pick it carefully 99% of the time you can get away with it!

For that other 1% of the time you don't and sometimes with tragic results!

After my accident in the Z I came out of a 2 week Coma and my first concern/question was "Did I hurt/kill anyone else?"

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Purpose of this thread is that "the check engine light comes on" under certain circumstances.

cramerizking, your name calling is way out of line. You will never win any debates that way, so it is highly unnecessary & uncalled for. Just about everyone on this forum speeds. 100mph on some road can be very safe if there is no traffic & straight.
It is even legal on some roads in civilized countries.
We can't assume PIONEER is speeding on an unsafe road, but just hope he knows how to speed & when.

Back to the purpose of this thread...

EDIT: before anyone thinks that I recommend speeding or that is it safe for all operators, I should mention:

I crashed an MKII @ 125mph (that is at it's top speed).
I was NEW to that speed with that machine. And it did not like me changing lanes, although I though I did it smoothly. It does take time to learn a machines likes & dislikes, & it's limits in handling.
Since that accident, I have maxed out my 120HP bike probably 30 times without a problem ever (still here). It is all in the operator. Some people can't even drive in a parking lot, and others learn to an advanced level. The dangerous part is leaning it, more than doing it. But regarless, a crash at higher speeds is unforgiving to skilled & unskilled operators alike if it happens.

EDIT: The MKII I killed is in my sig. I am just glad I did not affect anyone else in that accident. I also just applied my sig to this forum so thought I should add it here since I mentioned it.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
lol yeah it was dickish of me to start name calling... I am not going to post anything in return to any of the previous posts though with the hope that everyone will get back to solving his problem of speeding on public roads and having his check engine light come on.

sorry for f'ing up the topic i really didnt think it would go into a big speeding vs public safety war.