Front brakes locking up !?

S

seanmw

Need some ideas to run with to fix , Grimjack helpful in getting us set up here . New semi-metallic pads installed all 4 corners , disks turned , brakes bled work done by Master ASE . Tires are worn but pass inspection & all stock suspension but under panic stop FRONT brakes keep locking up . Any & all ideas appreciated .
Thanks , Sean

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
ABS comp is prolly dead or something is wrong with it. and if you dont have one any car is going to lock up when u stomp the hell out of the brakes.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
figgie said:
Under panic the breaks lock up? ABS light on by chance? Otherwise check the ABS fuse.

My Abs light is on, but when i break i dont need help from Abs i know how to break. ABS is for people who dont know how to break properly, its just an anti panic system.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The tires are the biggest factor braking in braking performance. Tire traction is usually the weakest link in panic braking performance. And the biggest factor in tire traction is the tire width (not the tire compound).
If you use stock size low performance tires, you'll get low traction. With low traction, you'll lock up quicker or the ABS will have to intervene sooner.
Your brake pads, disc and fluid are outperforming your tires if you lock up.
If you want better braking performance, get wider tires and softer tire compound. Of course, this means more expensive tires and less milage on a set of tires. But if you don't drive like an idiot, you still can get decent milage on a set of high performance tires.