Clutch slipping symtoms but....

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
My clutch disc is only 4kmiles old.

The story:

Replaced a slipping stock clutch with a Spec stage 2 4k miles ago and worked perfectly after 700 mile break in...street racing, drag strip, top end runs...awesome. Car didn't run for 3 weeks and got it running again tonight and took it for a spin. Slipping just like a worn clutch disc. Adjusted free-play and thats good. Checked the fluid, so thats good. Gonna bleed the system tomorrow and see what happens. Anyone else have any input? Thanks!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Took off the inspection cover on the bellhousing and didn't feel any oil in there. And I replaced the rear main seal when I replaced the clutch.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
defective PP? i got a new PP plus clutch disk from NAPA that i put in with my rebuild. shifts fine, goes into gear fine, however there is ZERO predal resistance and it never held ANY power what so ever. if the turbo spooled, that was it it would slip (this is after a 1000 mile break in..)

after the car was down for a BHG the clutch still had zero pedal effort, but it held the power. the next day, it would slip again. after that it would hold.

im thinking its a defective pressure plate on my car.

EDIT: IJ had PMed me asking about another possibility that could be causing my problem and i dont want to throw anyone off by my post. its possible on my car that the flywheel was not machined correctly causing my problem.

anyway aside from that take my post only for what its worth, my experience which could possibly be similar to yours, hopefully aiding in the resolution of your problem :).

Last edited:

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Lagged, I would agree with you but it doesn't seem logical that the PP would hold up against all the abuse I threw at it then be defective after sitting for 3 weeks. Another thought I had was could this be a differential issue? I have owned the car for 2 years and never even touched the dif. I will probably change the oil in that today when I bleed the clutch line.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Figured out that I didn't have enough free-play. I couldn't turn the push-rod to give more free-play so I put 2 washers inbetween the slave and bellhousing to "make" free-play. Engages alot sooner and don't slip!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
well i replaced the master and slave cylinders and with the 2 washers on there she still slips when I hit boost. I'm starting to agree with lagged about the defective PP. Maybe I'll get an ACT unit paired with my disc, should hold out good. Any thoughts?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i had the same problem.
i did not, however, shim the slave.

what it was, turned out to be my master cylinder leaking.
i still dont understand how that could lead to my clutch slipping, but since i replaced it, all is better, however the life of my clutch is probably somewhat reduced...

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Yea I replaced the master. The actual problem is that my PP is not fully engaging. I'm not sure why this is, but shimming the slave certainly fixed the symptoms even if it was not the cause of the problem. I am taking the shims out today so I have more of the bolts threaded into the bellhousing and am putting a shortened slave, pushrod in.