What should Oil pressure be at various points???

B

boostedj

Hello again. I am curious as to where my oil pressure should be at various times. Idle, cruising, wherever. I think I have low pressure at idle and it kinda worries me. :aigo:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
well, dont want to say this but, they did a whole discussion on it in general.
but to answer ur question, idel it should be in between 20-40. crusing it should be around 40 and when on the highway like doing 80. it should be in between 40-65. somewhere in those ranges.

B

boostedj

Thanks. Would you have any idea as to why I would have proper pressure according to your info, for the first few times I ran it, and now it has only 10-15psi at idle? I just picked this car up and it was a little f-ed up. I had to put misc. little intake plumbing and vac. lines back to their places. This is all after the prev. owner blew up the orig. turbo and replaced it. The engine seemed to run strong at first and also had much better oil pressure. But now its not looking so good. What could have gone wrong so fast?

whopwood

Jun 27, 2005
Madison, WI
Lots of supras have crap for pressure when hot and idling. Mine dips below 5psi on hot days. Just run a good synthetic oil.

Mar 30, 2005
Florida
min pressure at idle is about 5psi, it grows as you rev higher, but at 3k it peaks because thats when the pressure usualy reaches its max and gets dumped into the pan and oil cooler (oil pump pressure releif spring and oil cooler bypass)...max pressure you should see on stock oiling system is around 35-50psi when warmed up

S

SupraSith

Isn't the stock oil pressure gauge supposed to be unreliable?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Well, my aftermarket guage is not installed yet. But on my 89 guage at idle I'm just at "the" line (tiny bit below sometimes) and then at just about anything other then that its 40+ psi. ~90* ambient.

devil358

in ur sink
Apr 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
it's a high-volume, low pressure system...it's only supposed to be at like 4 psi at idle...and go up to anywhere between 30-40 it like 3K and up....

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It's only a minimum of 4psi isn't it? I don't remember them (Toyota) saying a normal pressure, just not below 4 psi.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Depends on your bearing tolerances and oil weight.

The car does seem to run fine on very little idle oil pressure however.

Best thing you can do is run a minimum of 6 quarts of good oil in your 7MGTE all the time. (It is not over full at that point, there is plenty of room between your crank and the oil level, but you do have one "extra" quart in reserve to keep oil over the pickup point.)

Most rod bearing failures are on cars running 5 quarts or less of oil. (Leaks are the #1 way to rod bearing failure. You run low on oil, and spin a bearing.)

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
gauge_oil.gif

http://www.brandwood.net/supra/handbook/1/5/gauges.html#Oil

@ normal operating temp:
4.3psi or more @ idle
36 - 71 psi @ 3000rpm
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/lu/LU_04.html

Last edited:
B

boostedj

So basically if you show pressure at all, your good ;) Thanks for the info guys, this had me worried.