good radiator

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
I've had great success with a replacement unit from "performance radiator". Most any auto part store chains probably carry it, for a very reasonable price. It will work million times better than a crusty 15+ year old unit. :)

S

SurpaSaiyan

I installed a PWR Double Core radiator. They're thicker than the stock radiators but are designed to be a direct fit including usage of the stock fans... better heat transfer, cooler, and more consistent temperatures. I've had it for a while now, and i think it works great.

(The company said that it'll add +15HP due to efficient cooling... dunno bout that, but it does cool pretty damn well... my supra loves it =] )

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
SurpaSaiyan said:
I installed a PWR Double Core radiator. They're thicker than the stock radiators but are designed to be a direct fit including usage of the stock fans... better heat transfer, cooler, and more consistent temperatures. I've had it for a while now, and i think it works great.

(The company said that it'll add +15HP due to efficient cooling... dunno bout that, but it does cool pretty damn well... my supra loves it =] )
man i love companies like that, you can tell they target the ricers the most.
sales man: "yes, this exaust tip will give you up to 40 hp increase"
:biglaugh:
dumbasses.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
sweet 15hp from the radiator, 40hp from my exhaust tip, and the 50hp from stickers???? but really tho on the temp gauge, where should it sit after warming up for the normal temp? just wanted to check and see if i needed a new one, my gauge sat at about a lil over midway up

S

SurpaSaiyan

before my radiator swap it sat about 60% up... now it's about 45-50%... its obviously doing it's job

-- Maria

Last edited by a moderator:

Turkish

Apr 4, 2005
SurpaSaiyan said:
before my radiator swap it sat about 60% up... now it's about 45-50%... its obviously doing it's job

-- Maria
I am on stock radiator and my gauge never goes more then like 40% I have never seen it dead in the middle before. Maybe mine is broken lol.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I've seen the thicker CFS radiators, and they appear to be a great deal for the money.

I have a fluidyne, and it works great. (It was just under 400.00 however.)

PWR is the big dog of 7MGTE radiators however. It's huge, and has a great reputation.

That being said, the wide core CFS is pretty dang massive too, and I'd think any Supra with a larger fabricated alluminum radiator is going to run pretty cool.

Air flow over the radiator becomes the critical factor as your engine produces more heat. At 85mph your car might run fine with no undercover, but at 110mph it's going to overheat. (Just my observation and experiance.)

At 85, you don't boost. At 110, your running a slight boost pressure to overcome the force of the air your pushing through, and that boost is going to heat up your motor quite a bit more than running "NA" at lower speeds. You need all the air over the radiator you can get, and not let it spill down under the car.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The Koyo radiators supposed to be good...as for the Griffin ones as well

I have been debating on a new radiator...my stock black one is about ugly.....and as hard as I push my car...i highly doubt its effeciancy is top notch.

Time to upgrade.

mk3_300 has the PWR, i will have to be different and get Koyo or something....

the PWR is hella thick....you cant use the stock shrowd though...so you have to be careful about people sticking their hands in the engine bay while the car is idling...

-Jonathan

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"I have a fluidyne, and it works great. (It was just under 400.00 however.)"

You can get the CFS for just under $400.00 too if you don't shop around.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
+1 for the PWR... I have one and the thing is just massive but still manages to fit into stock placement with all the stock mounting still there for A/C fans and what not. Excelent radiator in my book.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
If you have money to burn, I'm sure most of the larger aftermarket radiators are good units. But even with the best radiator in the world, it will not solve your problem if something else is wrong with you cooling system and/or engine.

Throwing money at shiny parts that one really doesn't need is not my idea of a good investment.

A healthy system should not need a bigger radiator while driving on the streets, unless you're breaking the law like hell, or hitting the race track.

Good engineering isn't about throwing money out the window. :)

ronniek

Authorized Vendor
May 2, 2005
auckland
I have a stock radiator and I relocated air horns,coolant overflow bottle,etc and this made a big difference to cooling.Car took longer to heat up to normal temp.
Is the fluidyne radiator thicker than the stock radiator?.
Ronnie.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Robert P. posted this on the SOGI list perhaps two weeks back:

Here is a full list of SPECS and pricing from 935 Motorsports, for future
reference:

Stock, $450 from dealer, 25MM dual core

All aluminum radiators, no auto tranny cooler option:

CSF Stree, cap included, $249, 25MM dual core
Fluidyne, cap included, $415, 38MM single core
PWR, cap included, $439, 57MM dual core
CSF Race, cap included, $299, 52MM dual core
Koyo Race, no cap, $385, 52MM dual core (designed for 1J, fitment issues)

Note: The measurements are rough, and based from notes. There may be slight
variation in the actual core size.

http://935motorsports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=79_14_39

Robert

However, I'm fairly sure the fluidyne is larger than 1.5" (38mm) I'll try to get a measurement tomorrow

S

SurpaSaiyan

mrnickleye said:
SurpaSaiyan
Lurker......................drivin' thru all that water also helps keep it cool???

lol... it was hella raining the day before. puddles are hella fun! :biglaugh:

PRpimp3o3

da puerto rican supra man
Apr 2, 2005
CO
i have a koyo that cost me 160 (cause i work for a parts shop and get parts at list price :biglaugh: ) worked great does what it needs to.