hydro parking brake

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
mk3ukr

last time i checked on this. There is a company out in Germany that does this but expect to pay ALOT of money for the kit as it is part of thier four wheel kit :)

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Yeah, I saw it in European performance car catalogue, price is 190 euro. It would cost me $300 delivered. It is nice gadget, I would like to have it because I will be upgrading rear brakes to 2 piston calipers and aluminium alloy hat setup. I am not sure how stock parking brake would work on aluminium hat.
Vladimir, 89T

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Enraged said:
what about a roll control/line lock attached to the rear brakes?

Good idea, but having traditional e-brake handle is much better IMHO. Can't imagine myself manipulating brake pedal and line lock switch in the corner to rotate rear end :icon_bigg
I decided to use stock parking brake - if aluminium hat's wear is too fast, have to spend money on hydro brake
Vladimir

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Finished few days ago my new rear brakes setup.
Brake rotors - I used front mk3 rotors with aluminium hats
Calipers - from Skyline 2.5ltr turbo, 2 pistons
Pads - Hawk HPS
The same guy who made rotors and brakets installed custom hydro parking brake.
Reduced a lot rotating and unsprung mass on the rear :icon_bigg
Brakes feel much more balanced to compare with upgrading fronts only
http://mk3ukr.photosite.com/mk3ukrSupra/Rear_brakes_01.html
http://mk3ukr.photosite.com/mk3ukrSupra/Hydro_parking_brake_01.html
http://mk3ukr.photosite.com/mk3ukrSupra/Hydro_parking_brake_02.html
Vladimir, 89T

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
how did you plumb the parking MC? just T-ed it into the rear line or what? I was thinking about doing the same thing when I finally get around to building my rears. my only concern is the pressure from one system having a negitive effect on the MC for the other system. I dont see how it could, but there is always that possibility that I am missing something. let me know how it works and holds up

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
You have to cut rear brake line, connect tube from the main MC to the reservoir hole of the parking brake MC. Then connect high pressure side of parking brake MC with line leading to rear calipers. It works very well, so far I don't see any negative sides of this setup. Guy who fabricated it made many more pieces for local rally drivers, but they use it to block rear wheels, not as parking brake. They have bigger leverage of the brake handle and block rears effortlessly.
In the beginning I thought parking brake will not hold pressure for long due to internal leakages of the system. Now I leave my car on the hill for 5-6 hours, it doesn't move.
Feeling when I pull the handle up is different, it is very firm and makes 2 clicks only. I think for this purpose better to use smaller size MC with less displacement.
Vladimir, 89T