Torque Pattern

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
TSRM says toque going on is inside out, coming off is outside in. If you use ARP they come with torque specs. Use their sheet numbers they are correct. Remember: putting on is inside out
pulling off is outside in.

Also alternate sides after each side ie: left side top bolt bottom bolt, go to right side top bolt bottom bolt, back to left etc...
eric

SuPrADr1Ft786

Apr 5, 2005
Davenport, Florida, United States
LOL no worrys man, I havnt got my motor from the shop yet, i just found out today that I had bent a rod and it squared out something inside and screwed my piston up, so I had to get new pistons, now my block has to be bored .20 over and a remanufactured rod($35) hope it does well. That reminds me, since I had to bore my motor a bit, what kind of head gasket should I go for??? I dont know what to use now. Also the head is far from done, he's just cleaning it up and doing a small head job. Thanks man

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
are you going mhg? I think once you bore it out you can no longer use the 83mm one and should use the 85mm one. How can you bend a rod??!!! that's crazy pressure, rods I thought would just snap :icon_razz anyways, if ya got anything else to ask i'l try and answer it. Later man.
eric

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Stretch said:
are you going mhg? I think once you bore it out you can no longer use the 83mm one and should use the 85mm one. How can you bend a rod??!!! that's crazy pressure, rods I thought would just snap :icon_razz anyways, if ya got anything else to ask i'l try and answer it. Later man.
eric

I bought a 70 Mach I many years ago. The guy I bought it from was racing it on the weekends, I had 500+ HP. I drove it for 20k miles before I had my new motor finished. After I put the new motor in, I broke the old one down and found no wear & tear, but it had a bent rod.

I know I didn't do anything to bend it, but it ran like a top for a lot of miles. There's something to be said for push rod V8's. :icon_bigg

SuPrADr1Ft786

Apr 5, 2005
Davenport, Florida, United States
Stretch said:
eric

LOL yea I wanna go metal, which do u prefer, 1.2, 1.4, or 2.0 and I gotta go with a 85mm right??? And honestly to tell u the truth I have no idea as to how I bent a rod, the car ran fine, it was powerful, i guess now its gonna be even better, he said it was bent by like a quarter of an inch and that if I was to drive it for a little longer it would of snapped and shot right through the block, but yea. Well thanks man.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
that really sux about the rod. The thickness of the hg has to do with how much material they take off the head and/or block. You use the different thickness to make sure your compression ratio is the same. You'll have to ask them how much they took off and if it's enough to use a different thickness headgasket. (you also need to find out if the head was re-finished before or not cuz that will affect it also)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
A buddy of mine has a 7M he bought with his shell he was going to fix up; it also had a bent rod, lol. But that motor has a lot more problems then just a bent rod...

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If your running a turbo engine wouldn't you want lower compression? So should you go with the thicker hg's? I was gona get a 2.0mm hks one, cause I thought lower compression was better. I have no idea how much was taken off the block, and the head isn't even done yet.
eric