JDM ECU and harness??

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
im swaping a 7M-GTE into my car, and im wondering, will a Japanese ECU and Harness work with the american motor??? i wouldnt see why not, and this may be a stupid question, but if anyone knows, your time is greatly appriciated

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
have fun with THAT wiring...even assuming you got an UNCUT harness...you would have to extend it probably a foot and half...meaning oh about 150ish soldering points ;)

outside of that yes it should work just fine...

B

boostedj

Wow, you are a better man than me. I would never try to do that job on this electrical system. Does anyone suppose that it might never run right due to incorrect resistance values in AALLLLL of the harness?

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I see no problems with the extension of the harness, I mean come on guys, the 1J guys do it for all their harnesses, so if you did it for the 7M what's the difference? I say do it if you got it, soldering is easy, it'l save some dough and match the ecu perfect :bigthumb:
eric

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
boostedj said:
Wow, you are a better man than me. I would never try to do that job on this electrical system. Does anyone suppose that it might never run right due to incorrect resistance values in AALLLLL of the harness?

if done right the resistances shouldnt go up much AT ALL....wiring should NEVER give you any resistance....obviously with some solder joints youll have slight BUT nothing that would affect anything

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
YoNkErS87t said:
I think your crazy. I would even spend the $600 and get a brand new harness from the dealer.

better, i spent 20 bucks and got a used one, and ECU!! :biglaugh:

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If you are any good at soldering, and you are using decent equipment, I see no reason not to solder or crimp it for extension. The amount of resistance you add by extension with decent solder or crimp connections will be negligible. I've soldered copper 4gauge wire with a resistance change of close to zero - and that's pretty thick stuff.

Jayhall

May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
only problem ive found with the harness, is one of the knock sensor clips is not there, been cut, along with temp sending unit, and oil pressure, but i will be running after market guages for both those anyways.