Disapperaring Oil

M

mdbarney

I am new to the web page and would appreciate any useful info. Bought an 87 supra with 72,000 miles. Apparently it was only driven less than 4,000 miles a year avg. I think it sat idle for awhile, not sure. The interior looks almost new, the engine is extremely clean and the exterior is close to immaculate with some fading of paint in a couple of areas. The real problem is it is loosing around 2 qts. of oil every week with none on the ground and only a puff of white smoke when initially starting the engine. I've been told possible bad seals around the valves or pistons. By the way it does not have a turbo. CAN ANYBODY SPELL RELIEF!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Welcome. sounds like you are burning oil and enough to make almost no smoke, also have you been just adding oil? i own an NA and my dipstick is incorrect, when i change my oil it only makes it to the very tip of the dip stick. change your oil and put in 5Qs and change the filter too. also what does your oil pressure read? when at idel is it reading inbetween 20 and 40? and when traveling around 80mph read around 40-60?
i just want to make sure ur not just adding oil because the dipstick reads low. our oil pans can hold up to 10.5Qs.

xride63

May 24, 2005
cherry hill
D34DC311 said:
Welcome. sounds like you are burning oil and enough to make almost no smoke, also have you been just adding oil? i own an NA and my dipstick is incorrect, when i change my oil it only makes it to the very tip of the dip stick. change your oil and put in 5Qs and change the filter too. also what does your oil pressure read? when at idel is it reading inbetween 20 and 40? and when traveling around 80mph read around 40-60?
i just want to make sure ur not just adding oil because the dipstick reads low. our oil pans can hold up to 10.5Qs.

how accurate is the dipstick on the turbo modles because i seem to have a hard time reading it but its all i can go by. also i in another thread there was the discussion on how manny quarts to run.. what i got frmo that is 6 quarts for a turbo and i guess your saying 5 quarts for NA. just curious

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
xride63 said:
how accurate is the dipstick on the turbo modles because i seem to have a hard time reading it but its all i can go by. also i in another thread there was the discussion on how manny quarts to run.. what i got frmo that is 6 quarts for a turbo and i guess your saying 5 quarts for NA. just curious

yep i run 5 in my Na. and stock Ts need 6,