Machine Timing Cover (quick question)

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Everyone recommended I get this done on my supraforums thread, but nobody mentioned what to do to it. I'm ASSUMING mill the mating surface, but whats the purpose behind this? And this IS the metal plate with the 2 circular seals in it yes? I am asking because I dropped this off at the machine shop and they weren't exactly sure what to do with it (heh). Thanks!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You absolutely need to get this milled with the block. Just bolt it to the block and have it all machined at the same time. Otherwise, the timing belt cover will stick up higher than the block mating surface, and your head gasket won't seal properly.

SupraMkiii24

90T in the works
Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Tx.
Sure thing. Good luck. I remember your old thread. Make sure everything is done within spec and take your time during the assembly portion.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
If the block isnt taken to the shop and isnt machined/milled...does the cover still need to be machined? If your prepping the block yourself of course...

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
empera said:
If the block isnt taken to the shop and isnt machined/milled...does the cover still need to be machined? If your prepping the block yourself of course...

If what you have done to the block has removed metal from the deck surface, the timing cover will need to match that. Put a straight edge across both surfaces when they are together. If you can fit a feeler guage in at the front of the block, you'll need to do something about it.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
heh. sorry maybe that just came out wrong....how about "how about if your prepping the block yourself does the cover need any work done to it?"

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
empera said:
heh. sorry maybe that just came out wrong....how about "how about if your prepping the block yourself does the cover need any work done to it?"

No aslong as your bit of 4x2 with sandpaper nailed to it is not going to take 1mm of the block then you dont need to machine front cover :stickpoke *Joke*

Heres a pic of my block ready for stock gasket I hope yours looks somthing like that

Just put a straight edge over the block to make sure the cover top is not higher than block edge

p5836_1.jpg

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
empera said:
i scrapped them.

:aigo: MAKE SURE THAT GOES BACK TO AVOID OIL LEAK :rant2: caps off :evil5:

If what you have done to the block has removed metal from the deck surface, the timing cover will need to match that. Put a straight edge across both surfaces when they are together. If you can fit a feeler guage in at the front of the block, you'll need to do something about it.