All Hail the Mighty Torsen!

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
torsencloser.jpg

I had approximately 300 miles on that diff and only one autox. The damage you see happened on the way home from the gas station, 2nd gear rolling into 10 psi on R compounds.

The rest of the pix here: http://mkiiitech.com/drj/blownupstuff/

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
had a lump of metal drop out of mine when changin oil about 6 years ago it was clunking whatever came out cured the problem never had problem since
but it didnt look like that took it apart could see no damage never looked back you watch finish my rebuild drive up road and bang

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Holy shit, Adam! I'm glad you posted this as I've been giving some thought to a diff replacement...

Your stocker didn't break did it? I know you were doing quite a bit of dragging last summer...I'm wondering if I'm better off leaving the stocker in place for drag??? What's your .02 ?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
oneandgone said:
Holy shit, Adam! I'm glad you posted this as I've been giving some thought to a diff replacement...

Your stocker didn't break did it? I know you were doing quite a bit of dragging last summer...I'm wondering if I'm better off leaving the stocker in place for drag??? What's your .02 ?

yeah, i'm still digging for a decent diff.

nothing wrong w/the stock clutch pack diff- it's plenty strong and i never had a problem (other than the clutch packs wearing out from age/use...). i used a stock clutch pack for drag all last summer....and i would swap in the torsen for autox.

honestly, i thought the torsen was stronger, i was a bit miffed when i blew it up. obviously, the real damage was done earlier and the roll into the throttle was just the final straw, but still. i never dragged on it, but i guess autox on R compounds isn't much better...

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
:ugh:

Damn Doc, well I might have another torsen for sale in the near future :bigthumb:

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Which torsen was that Adam? I'm hoping it wasn't one of the several aftermarket options for the mk3? I thought they'd be tougher than the clutch type. I had placed this on the "long term to do list" maybe they aren't as tough as I thought.
Brian W

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
prsrcokr said:
Which torsen was that Adam? I'm hoping it wasn't one of the several aftermarket options for the mk3? I thought they'd be tougher than the clutch type. I had placed this on the "long term to do list" maybe they aren't as tough as I thought.
Brian W

that was the JZA70 torsen.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
ouch, was that the one i had called dibs on after buying your spare? hope that truck diff project works out for ya since you seem to have a talent for demolishing stockers, torsen or clutch pack.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
stanzaspeed said:
ouch, was that the one i had called dibs on after buying your spare? hope that truck diff project works out for ya since you seem to have a talent for demolishing stockers, torsen or clutch pack.

yessir, that is the one i was supposed to send you. :(

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Truck diff. huh? I've talked to you about this before. Please keep us updated as it progresses, I could always use the excuse that the Tacoma diff. is haveing troubles and I need to find another to 'replace' it.
Brian W