oil in the intake and IC lines...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
when I took off my 3000 pipe I noticed some oil in my intake and then when I took off my lower IC pipe I noticed quite a bit of oil... and also just tonight I started blowing out some smoke... I couldn't tell if it was blue or white... but it definately wasn't black... anyone have any suggestions as to why the oil is there or the smoke?

Last edited:
M

MisterTurbineTwister

The only things that could have failed are:

1 - your PCV valve could be opening too much and allowing oil to get sucked into your intake through the plumbing from your PCV valve

2 - your head gasket could be bad, allowing the oil from the passages to get blown back through your exhaust

3 - your turbo bearing seal could be bad, allowing oil and exhaust to pass through to the intake side of your turbo, into your IC and intake plumbing.

Pull the IC tubing from the fender to the 3000 pipe off and remove your accordion hose that routes from the air flow meter to the turbocharger and check your turbo for oil leak.

The smoke you have is probably blue, indicating that you are burning oil and you probably have a bad turbo seal and need to rebuild or replace your turbo.

Do NOT drive your car with a bad turbocharger! If the seals are bad, it can do the same thing to your fluids that a blown head gasket can do by mixing the oil, antifreeze, exhaust and intake air.

Just buy some gaskets and get another turbo.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
1. The 7m has no PCV valve.

2. very unlikely

4. your rings could be worn and are letting excessive vapors into the PCV system which is dumping oil vapors into your pipes.

If you've got smoking during deceleration and idle then it's probably your turbo seals. Smoke during startup is usually valve stem seals. Smoke during acceleration is usually rings/pistons.

Take off your accordian hose and check your turbo for excessive radial shaft play. Anything more then a millimeter or two play is excessive. Any axial play at all is excessive. Basically if you've got excessive shaft play it's only a matter of time before your turbo seals get eaten up. If the turbo seems fine try a compression test.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
ok I took my accordian hose off and checked my turbo and no shaft play... but I did take off my lower IC pipe and oil poured out of there... also I noticed that something was sprayin out of my bov(oil)... and then today I noticed that there was an oil/gas mixture on top of my fuel rail... I'm thinkin it is my valve stem seals... c\ when this happened in my 87 I replaced those and it fixed my problem... oh and one other thing... today I was in 5th gear and I was boostin a little and I noticed that I hit full boost and then it dropped jarrastically... then when I turned around on an offramp I was tryin to boost again and it boosted fine... any suggestions or feedback on any of this?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No... a compression test will tell you that there is something wrong with the cylinder wall, piston, piston ring, head, headgasket, or valves.

A leakdown test will tell you if it is your pistons (unlikely) or piston rings (likely).

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
What is the likely cause if compression is 165-165-150-165-165-165 and there is no sign of oil in coolant. There is smoke at decell and after long idle sometime. It drink a lot of oil and after reading much posts on this subject I am leaning toward the turbo. Have not yet open IC below turbo to check for oil. Oil catch can is installed and there is oil collecting in the valve breather tube going into the can.

If it is the turbo seal, I can open it and redo it myslef to save money since I am low school fees is gona be up high in fall.

What is the success rate for a do it yourself turbo repair kit with the ct-26 and how long did it took you to do it when you did it?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
7m-gte - clean all that residue off and see if it comes back quickly. As for the boost, it sounds like it might be a boost leak or a tuning issue. If you're getting a lot of oil in your intake that MAFT might not like being oil covered.

sathu - #3 is obviously a little low but it's still within tolerance. Turbo typically doesn't eat a lot of oil unless it's smoking the street so bad you can't see behind you. Small amounts of oil can make large amounts of smoke. It is possible you've got more then one problem so that's multiplying your oil loss. The longer you run on a blown turbo the less likely it will be rebuildable, however I wouldn't go so far as to say 'stop driving the car now'. A friend of mine drove around for a long time on a blown turbo until it finally seized solid, and it was still rebuildable! Not to say everyone will be so lucky but it's possible.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
It smoke for about 15 secs or so at decell but not at all decel. On a drive of 50 miles or so it smoke on decel from 3-5x at most. I am doing oil change this weekend to 20-50 castrol high mileage and see if it reduce the the oil consumption. I had cam shaft oil seal leak 2 weeks ago but I fixed that when I did my timing belt.

I took my plug out to do compression test and the number six was flooded with oil from the bottom of the plug thread to the top of the thread which was kinda alarming but there wasn't much carbon chunk on the plug so I think the oil didn't get in there much. I wonder if that is caused by the camshaf oil seal when it leaked and run down the alley.

I am gona check IC pipe when i do the oil change to confirm bad turbo seal.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
Bishop92t said:
7m-gte - clean all that residue off and see if it comes back quickly. As for the boost, it sounds like it might be a boost leak or a tuning issue. If you're getting a lot of oil in your intake that MAFT might not like being oil covered.

I forgot to mention I don't have the 550's, the maft or the avc-r on yet... but I do have the 3in and 60-1... so your sayin clean all the oil off the top of the fuel rail and everywhere and see if it comes back quick? is there a possibility that it could be my turbo? I noticed a date printed on it 03-04-03... so it's only 2yrs old... but it could have gone through hell and back before me... thanx for all the feedback...I hope I can fix this...c\ I've replaced just about everything else on this car...

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I didn't get any smoke on decel... but I did at an idle... I'm about to pull my valve covers off and clean out all the oil that I'm sure is in there... and then maybe check my valvestem seals... hopefully it's not my turbo or anything more serious... oh... also I get a little bit of smoke coming from my pcv system on top of the valve covers... any clues as to what would be causing that?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Bishop92t said:
Blown turbo will blow smoke on decel and extended idle.

sounds like my problem... but i'd rather upgrade than replace.. is it possible to run an upgraded turbo without the appropriate fuel upgrades if i stay at low boost?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Yes, so long as you don't do anything to modify FCO you could run a huge turbo with no problems. This is because FCO is based on airflow not boost. You'll run less boost and may even experience less power (depending on your turbo), but it won't hurt the car.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
fuel cut off,

anyway back to the subject, i get like 3 seconds of blue haze on startup, thats it and i am noticing a very slight drop in oil pressure after 3k miles it has dropped from like 10psi to the normal 4 so its not huge,

should i assume valve stem seals and i've never done this so how much work would that be??? i hear it can be done with just taking off cames and having the head on the car which is REALY prefferable cus i wanna be able to do this in one night,

also what does it take to rebuild a turbo on my own as far as tools go, if its not to bad and still doesnt show real signs of being blown?? i know there is machining involved.

lastly for the rookie on campus what does pcv stand for and what does that sucker do as far as our car goes?

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
What turbos out there that you can just buy and drop it right in w/o upgrading the exhaust mani? At turbocharger they charge 275 or something like that for the repair and 550 for the upgrade. It kinda fishy as to the part about the 275 if you send in a good turbo for repair/upgrade, otherwise they charge you extra. I think their diffinition of a good turbo was no shaft play what so ever which is pretty hard to deter. I grab the turbine and pull it back and forth to check for movement and side to side also for movement and it doesn't seem to really move that much, less than 1mm, maybe even less from side to side and front to back.

So yeah, upgrade? or repair?

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I'd say upgrade... you wouldn't believe the extra power you can get from these turbo's... I had an 87 that was completley bone stock, and then my 89 which only had 3in exhaust and the 60-1... and man it was a complete night and day difference at the same boost... that 60-1 really throws you back compared to the stock ct-26...