Side Moldings Question

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
Quick Tech Help please! well i know how to remove the the side moldings on the rear fender and under tail light, the front bumper, the front fenders ones, but how do i remove the Door Side Moldings? reason i ask is cause i'm getting them painted black. do i have to remove the door panel to get to them? someone help me please.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Tony Mawad said:
Keep in mind that I bought my car used. Which means that it could have been "touched" or altered. IIRC, the doors on mine had some kind of an adhesive tape on there. All the other mouldings did not. Before I disassembled my car AGAIN, all the adhesive tape backing was gone & only the clips were holding the door mouldings on (which is enough).

The clips easily pop out. There is one screw in the front of each door moulding. You unscrew them from the inside.

Please don't carelessly bend the mouldings when you take them out also. It just take a little delicate touch. This may help also:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/bo/BO_21.html

I should mention that you should use a small prying tool. The one I used is as big as a screwdriver but forked at the end.
They can't be that much at all. So get one of those.

If your moldings dont need any attention such as small scratches or other small repair:

1)clean the surface
2)sand it with 500
3)clean again
4)spray primer
5)if smooth, spray color--if not lightly sand, then spray color
6)spray clear if not using single stage paint, i would use clear though to match the car
7)install & the end.

*Clear is necessary for some types of paint; all depends on weather you use a single stage or not. I would use two stage paint so that I could match it to the car though :)

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
i used 600 fo the sanding. and the paint i use is the Tamiya Spray for plastics. it doesn't get it EXACTLY the same black that i have but it works for me...it's not color matched but it blends well. -_^

thanks for the help ideal supra.

The clips are pretty strong, i pulled'em off pretty rough haha no breaks.

well all moldings are off except for the doors and the center rear one (under the license plate)...i can't figure out how to take this one off. any help with this one please?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Pull hard really hard, and then dont
listen to me because everything i say is a lie,
cept that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,
and that,

and that,

and that,

look around in the trunk and remove som panels to get to the back were the lights are im sure there is something around there that holds the moldings on. just an educated guess.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
the center rear one on the license plate DOES NOT COME OFF if your car is 89+ .... you will have tape up the license plate area and whatnot to panit that....

if you have an 87-88 the molding will come off with ailttle coercing ;)

Eric_Odie

Apr 17, 2005
Fremont, Ca.
www.cardomain.com
darn, guess i have to tape it off, oh wells. and so that i don't creat another thread of some quick tech help, i'll just ask here....

how do i get inside the taillight? like i've taken them off, but can't figure out how to take it apart so that i can clean the inside and spray ike 2 or 3 layers of Tamiya "Smoke" translucent spray.

my friend told me that i put it in the oven on Bake and at 350 degrees, but i derno, i've heard of people putting it in the oven but what exactly do i do? put it on a cooking sheet? foil? how many degrees?