$800 Supra... is it worth it?

• Thread starter tragictoothpickaccident
  • Start date
T

tragictoothpickaccident

I'm looking to buy a Supra, and one of my options is a 1988 non-turbo targa top with 192k mi and a blown headgasket. The targa's losing some paint, but the rest of the car's pretty good.

It's only $800, which is nice since I don't have the greatest budget, but I don't know if it's worth it to replace the headgasket when the car has so many miles on it... and I don't really know anything about the non-turbos.

Anybody have some input?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
for $800 either non or Turbo thats a steal. these cars are getting rarer every day. to replace the head gasket u can have that up in tip top shape for prolly another 400.

T

tragictoothpickaccident

So sad. Well, there are about 30 Supras for sale within 150 miles of me... 20 w/in 50 miles, I think. Most of them just cost a bit more...

What's a normal time commitment for replacing a blown headgasket (and maybe a few old hoses and stuff while I'm at it)?

My fiance probably wouldn't let me do much of the work myself. ;-)

What's a n/a engine?

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
tragictoothpickaccident said:
So sad. Well, there are about 30 Supras for sale within 150 miles of me... 20 w/in 50 miles, I think. Most of them just cost a bit more...

What's a normal time commitment for replacing a blown headgasket (and maybe a few old hoses and stuff while I'm at it)?

My fiance probably wouldn't let me do much of the work myself. ;-)

What's a n/a engine?

na means normally aspirated, ie no turbo.

boostedKids

Jun 18, 2005
northern nj
Yeah dude $800 is a good deal, I just bought a 1990 white package turbo 5spd targa, NO RUST ANYWHERE, undercoating, the thing is fucking cool, it spun a bearing and its going to be cake to fix. plus, insurance might be lower for you because VIN comes up N/A.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
The dude you just refered to is actually a she. ;) She also happens to be my fiancee. :icon_smil Yay, my girl wants a Supra!

T

tragictoothpickaccident

Furball said:
The dude you just refered to is actually a she. ;) She also happens to be my fiancee. :icon_smil Yay, my girl wants a Supra!

Aw, I feel so loved. ;o]

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
turbo or non-turbo just fix the head gasket (hks 1.2mm and ARP head studs) it will be worth every penny i had some problem with mine but when she runs "like she is now" its the best felling in the world knowing you don't have what everyone else has and something that does take much to make fast.........on that note get the car

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heh, i got my N/A off ebay for $820. (i turbo swapped it) however, the origional motor had around 200k miles on it, and it ran strong till the day i spun a bearing.

-shaeff

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Furball said:

so thats why she has that painting of some random chick in a feild as her avatar.:biglaugh:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
when i beat the piss out of it every day because i wanted a turbo swap :) it had over 200k miles on it. poor little N/A, didnt stand a chance!

-shaeff

PRpimp3o3

da puerto rican supra man
Apr 2, 2005
CO
I got my car for 800 with a BHG and it was turbo so i consider myself really lucky but 800 for an supra is a great deal. Also mine is a 92 so its even better.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
yeah, its a good deal, I paid 1k for mine, front bumper was toast, engine and turbo were dead. interior wasn't that nice. also got a free n/a parts car.