88T Auto vrs 95 Talon TSI/AWD

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Tonight I went on about a 60-100mph roll with a guy I know who owns a black, 95 Talon running about 8lb of boost. Im not sure if he had any notable modifications, however Im in an auto with FIPK and running 6lbs of boost on nice days if Im lucky.

Anyways, it started out with him jumping about two-to-three feet ahead of my headlights. However, at about 75-80 I began to overtake him, walking him several car-lengths when all was said and done.

Nothing big I know, but it was my first victory with the old gal, and I enjoyed it.

Open to criticism etc, and thanks for viewing. :)

blacksupra

Apr 9, 2005
Buena Park,CA
Probably you have a boost leak cuz 6 psi it's too low. My car was pushing 4 psi only until i found out one of the ic lower pipes had a big crack.I bought a metal one and depending of the weather I'm running 8 psi. When it's hot only 6.5 or 7 max. I haven't installed the MBC cuz I need an aftermarket boost gauge.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
good kill! Yea check for boost leaks and if you still have the stock exhaust, with both cats, that could cause low(er) boost too. On stock boost(7-8psi) I was dead even with a GS-T that was running 15lbs.

C

cnewingham

6psi is right for a stock auto supra. with intake and 3in exhaust you should be at 8 or 9 psi.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
they dont run 15 stock i know that but i dunno 8 psi sounds like a stock pressure on that talon but its hard to tell cus i havent seen many stock ones.

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Well, the driver claimed ten at first, but after he lost he swore 8psi...so who knows. Regardless...the day after my first victory, BHG struck with 126,~~~miles on the engine. Looks like I was being too much of a punk kid, it sucks, but I was going to have to replace it at some point.

There goes the exhaust and 5-speed swap, /shame

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Stock psi for DSMs (I own one...) is 15 psi...but with stock bov, they leak anything over about 11. If he really is running 8 psi, he's leaking boost pretty bad, and that might have something to do with him losing. When my T25 was about to explode, it had tons of shaftplay, clipping the inside of the housing and everything, and I was still running about 10.5.....
Just fyi, since it got asked. :icon_bigg

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Honestly, the kid doesn't really put off the vibe of having all that much knowledge of his car or cars in general. Example, we asked where his intercooler was, and he fingered his radiator...heck, my friend with an 04 Ion Redline, supercharged from factory, convinced him that it was a huge turbo.

Regardless, the car's down for a while.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
go cometic and arp, dont go oem you'll regret it like i do everytime i want to step on the gas. change hoses as many as you can afford and while you have your head off go ahead and change any seals it needs valve cover seals, valve stem seals, little hose behind head, vacuum, as much as you possibly can espessially ones listed, after what i did on hg i regret not doing those cus now its a REAL pain,

ohoh and DONT FORGET get your valve spacing withing spec. i took off all the valve shims things and just threw them back in without any real order to them and now i suffer from some pretty annoying valve ticking.