CT26 Upgrades-HP + FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
As I know some, people don't venture into all sections; there was a thread in the technical section about CT upgrades. And since no one had responded I replied with what knowledge I have gained from countless hours researching the CT upgrades:

50 trim: Said to be most reliable all though I have never heard of anyone getting this one... I would think it isn't much bigger then stock there fore flowing around 350hp @ 18-20 lbs
53 trim: Slightly larger than above, at same boost levels probably 360-380
57 trim: Again, slightly larger than the above, and @ same boost levels 380-400 probably?
60 trim: Some people say anything bigger than 60 trim cuts turbo life down drastically, 60 trim on compressor graphs shows that is flows way more than any of the other 'trim' compressors. Should flow about 400-430 @ above mentioned boost levels.
60-1: Is a compressor wheel from a to4e something or other and many say to big for the stock ct shaft, flows very well though @ about 450 HP...
62-1: is a compressor wheel from another to4d or something turbo, again many say not very reliable. Should flow to about 470ish HP...

Also, what happens when your turbo is upgraded is they bore the inlet compressor housing out and put in a bigger wheel, on the same small shaft, which is why they seem to break easier with the bigger wheel; since bigger = more weight.
One other thing to think about is Clipping, which is the procedure to cut the exhaust fins @ a certain degree to enhance air flow for more top end flow; however I do not think this is a way to enhance the 'reliability' of your CT upgrade, as people say it is not a cut and go, since they can not measure precisely the angle for each fin.
Disclaimer:
This is info is solely based on information gathered from reading countless posts on upgrading the CT26. I in no way will garauntee you will hit those HP figure; as I don't know what mods you have on your car and have not tested any of them myself.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
maybe we could also get a discription on how triming is done.....or what exactlly triming is

if 50 is the most reliable and 62-1 is the least....aabout how much life is taken off you CT when it is trimed?? i am about to have mine rebuilt and was considering a trim[57 or less most likly] what can i expect as far as price, life span, power gains, lag time, FC, ECU problems, etc

john

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Trimming/clipping is where they grind off the corner of the exhaust turbine's blades at a 10-14 degree angle (a lot like when you grind the edge of a valve). It is supposed to improve flow, and I don't think it has any effect on lifespan

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
jester1341 said:
maybe we could also get a discription on how triming is done.....or what exactlly triming is

if 50 is the most reliable and 62-1 is the least....aabout how much life is taken off you CT when it is trimed?? i am about to have mine rebuilt and was considering a trim[57 or less most likly] what can i expect as far as price, life span, power gains, lag time, FC, ECU problems, etc

john

You are confusing the two topics.

-One is 50 trim compressor
All TRIM compressor's.

When you ask 'if you get a trimed turbo', you mean clipping. Clipping is a completely different subject. Which has to do with grinding down the blades on the exhaust compressor, where as the word 'trim' is only in correlation to the intake compressor sizes, do you understand?

There hasn't really been any 'proven' "my ct has failed because of my 15 degree clip." But there is no way to make each blade the same as the next; and when something which relies so much on being perfectly balanced is just bareeellllyyyy off, you have disastrious problems.

I could go ahead and list MINIMUM upgrades to run upgraded CT's; but I have to get up early to go to court, so maybe I will later.

-Disced

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Alright; since someone asked if they could list the minimum upgrades needed to run an upgraded CT, I will list the MINIMUM required. This is only a list for what you absolutely NEED to run one.

-Upgraded Fuel pump( The MkIV pump works fine but the walbro can be had for cheap and has been shown to flow soooo much more fuel)
-Upgraded injectors OR bored out stock injectors OR Flowed/bluebrinted stock injectors
-Removal of J-tube. Now, I was under the impression you HAD to have a block-off plate, but you don't. You can just take off the fuel lines from the J-tube and leave the j-tube plate on the block.
-Either a MAF w/ blowthrough OR lexus afm.
-Replaced HG either Metal/composite/stock prepped correctly w/ ARP studs.

There are things that SHOULD be done when you upgrade your turbo; but those are the only NECESSARY things for your car to accept the turbo and not blow it up.

-Disced

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
okay, triming and clipping are clearly different....not poking fun, but it is important to know they are different.

anyway, i am leaning toward a 53 trim is it really neccesary to upgrade the pump and lines at this exact moment? would 53 give me a noticable difference over stock? what about 50?[with simple mods....3" catback, K&N, BOV, 2" IC piping]

planing to go full 3" and get a walbro soon....MBC as soon as i get my turbo back

i am not comitted to the trim yet i just figured since it is being rebuilt and balanced why not look into it.

john

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
Disced said:
Alright; since someone asked if they could list the minimum upgrades needed to run an upgraded CT, I will list the MINIMUM required. This is only a list for what you absolutely NEED to run one.

-Upgraded Fuel pump( The MkIV pump works fine but the walbro can be had for cheap and has been shown to flow soooo much more fuel)
-Upgraded injectors OR bored out stock injectors OR Flowed/bluebrinted stock injectors
-Removal of J-tube. Now, I was under the impression you HAD to have a block-off plate, but you don't. You can just take off the fuel lines from the J-tube and leave the j-tube plate on the block.
-Either a MAF w/ blowthrough OR lexus afm.
-Replaced HG either Metal/composite/stock prepped correctly w/ ARP studs.

There are things that SHOULD be done when you upgrade your turbo; but those are the only NECESSARY things for your car to accept the turbo and not blow it up.

-Disced

Along with the upgrades that disced listed I would also recommend a better intercooler, and a 3" exhaust. The most bang for the buck that I got was from my intercooler upgrade. I have a 60-1 CT26 and I went from 102 mph in the 1/4 @15 psi to 110 mph at the same boost level. An 8 mph increase in the 1/4 mile is roughly 80 whp in a 3600 lb car. Better spool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.