Best smog state?

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Of all the states around California, which is best when it comes to smog laws being lax? I'm just getting tired of California smog laws, and looking for options. I don't want to run open DP, I have no problem with having a cat or two, but I would love to gat a FF intake manifold or atmosphere venting BOV and not be failed because it isn't stock. It's late, please humor me. ;)

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Yeah Cali sucks for smog laws.

They will fail you if something is not "stock" or CARB approved regardless if you pass the emissions test.

I have a smog check this Thursday with my 7MGTE swap. Hope it passes. :x:

I once almost failed because my gas cap was not "working". It was either pay the extra $20 bucks for a new gas cap or wait and do it myself, then go back for another test...

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
VA isn't bad depending on where you are. In most of the lower half of the state there aren't any emisssions, just a visiual check to see if you have something resembling a cat. I passed my annual safety inspection with a gutted cat and no EGR or Charcoal cannister. In the northern half of the state though, they do require emissions testing.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
washington had no emissions you would see some guys with chevells and 3 inch out the side and no one gave a rats ass,
now our ligislators and people are cuttind down, they are considering addopting cali's laws because of our forests.

right now you only have to pass emissions testing if you live in or directly arround the seattle area, i think it goes down to tacoma not sure. as far as that we are pretty lax vent all ya want i havent heard of anyone getting ticketed and allot of our cops up here are gear heads too and they have their own cat free cars.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
When I visited SC, it seems that the minute I drove in, EVERYTHING was catless and had flowmasters, and EVERYTHING had window tint. Everything stunk and it was great. NJ sucks tho...

-J

P

Pokey

Uh, Arkansas, cause my car is registered there but i live in Cali. the only thing i got pulled over for was tinted windows, and i was runnin open dp at the time too, it was just a warning also :biggrinbo

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Man, there are so many times I want to leave Southern California. Smog laws are a pain, gun laws are a pain, homeowners associations are super lame (Did you know I can't work on my car in my own driveway?), soooooo many fake people, but I love the beach so freakin' much. The weather is gorgeous and I can drive the Supra year round, but again, so many stupid laws. Grrrrrrr....I don't know what to do! What are the smog laws like in AZ? Maybe I can buy some land there with a house, make it my primary residence, register my car there, then live in Cali most of the time. Then again Washington sounded nice. Maybe I'll just drive across the US to every state that was listed and enjoy all of them. Things to think about.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm in upstate new york, and have no smog. they look at my hollowed out cat and pass me:) i also have no charcoal canister or EGR.

-shaeff

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
shaeff said:
i'm in upstate new york, and have no smog. they look at my hollowed out cat and pass me:) i also have no charcoal canister or EGR.

-shaeff

We don't even have visual inspection here. Nobody looks at your car. (There is a safety inspection when you get a new car, but they could care less about modifications or no emissions).

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
yeah when I lived in northwest colorado there wasn't anything. You walk in and buy new tags each year and that it, nobody even looks at your car. Hell they don't even know what car you drive, they don't care.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
that really sucks. i plan on moving out to cali in the near future. you really cant work on your car in your driveway? thats nuts.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
lagged said:
that really sucks. i plan on moving out to cali in the near future. you really cant work on your car in your driveway? thats nuts.

Just depends on where you are. If you have a homeowners association they can regulate what you can and can't do around your house. If by any chance you were planning to move to Irvine (the city just north of me) you can forget about working on your car outside of your garage. Now Mission Viejo (the city just south of me) has very few associations, and if they do have them they are more relaxed. It's a good bet no one will care if you work on your car outside there. My city is a cross between the two, just depends what part you live in.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
if anyone gives me any shit i will just BURN THEIR HOUSES DOWN.

thanks. ill have to put some thought into it wherever i end up renting a house.