how much is a clutch job

MK3Racer89

May 11, 2005
hey guys i am going to buy a o.e.m. clutch from exedy in about 2 weeks, i found it off of ebay, but my friends dad owns a shop and i ask him to ask his dad to see how much is a install would be, and he said about 340$, i think that is a bit pricey so i was wondering if it is ? does anybody know how much these kinds of jobs go for or can i do it myself?
oh and here are pics of the cltuch i am going to get
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7982181622&category=33730
well thankz for the help guys
chris

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Thats the same clutch I got. It fixed my slipping but as soon as I turned up the boost a year later it started slipping. If you plan on turning up the boost don't get it. Get something a little beefier. I have done the clutch in mine 2 times. In a garage on jackstands the first time and in a repair shop with a lift the second time. Its pretty easy once you figure it out. Theres some more info on here about it.
like here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2543 One thing I would do different would be to remove the downpipe too. GL

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm with AM on this if you're going to the trouble of replacing a clutch get something better than you think you need as our cars are a recipe for clutch death!

Lots of weight+not bad traction and a turbo=clutch as the weakest link and much sadness when it starts slipping!

MK3Racer89

May 11, 2005
oh ok thankz alot this is going to save me alot of trouble and what kind of clutch did you settle on aye mate? and how much? and where did you get it? oh and i plan on running 13psi and thankz again
chris

MK3Racer89

May 11, 2005
yea i am not sure on how much these jobs go for, but i was just seeing if he was trying to screw me or not haha but thankz for the info
chris

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Too much - get some buddies with tools, order some pizza and beer, and do it yourself [with their help], man.
I didn't know anything about my car when I installed my EVC, and 2 months at 11psi destroyed my stock clutch. I smoked it out completely about 1/4 mile from the Toyota dealer. I bought a TRD sport clutch for my car, and the labor cost more than the clutch itself. I paid over $1000 [price of clutch included] to have the dealer to replace my clutch.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i got a spec stage two. not installed yet tho. i got it because i have heard they can stand up to all kinds of abuse and dont have such a harsh engagement. i think it holds 450ft/lbs which would be plenty of holding power for you at 13psi. i also plan on putting it in myself in the next month or so, as soon as i get some things taken care of(my disk was damaged alittle during shipping).

luvs2slide

Boso Drifter
Apr 19, 2005
Shalimar, FL
Do the clutch job yourself dude. My motor is currently out of my car which was a plus and it only took me 20 minutes to install the clutch intself and put the tyranny and engine together. Depending on how long it takes for you to jack the car up, install the clutch, and put back it depends on your mechanic ability =). However I ran into some minor problem; the bolts which attach the bellhousing to the engine were "ghetto" so I had to replace them. BTW resurface your flywheel and it's also good to get new pilot bearing and main bearing. The pressure plate is still good to use also. For further preventative maintenance it would be a good idea if you raplaced the the rubber O ring gasket on the bottom of block ( forget the name). Good Luck!

joeyd161

El Jefé
Apr 18, 2005
Schaumburg,IL
Dont mean to high jack the thread but just curious how long would it take to replace the clutch. Ill be doing it in on my garage floor with floor jacks.

thanks

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
It depends one how smooth it goes, but it's possible to do in a day if you dont have to resurface the FW or have a new one.
Bring over some friends because that's going to reduce the time and difficulty.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
luvs2slide said:
The pressure plate is still good to use also.
False! Get a pressure plate! While you have the trans off its a good idea to replace as much stuff as you can! The pressure plate is a major part of the assembly and if you get an upgraded clutch disc and run an old worn out PP all your work will be in vain.
luvs2slide said:
For further preventative maintenance it would be a good idea if you raplaced the the rubber O ring gasket on the bottom of block ( forget the name). Good Luck!
Rear main oil seal! ;) Good luck!