Power Steering leaking- What are my RACK Options????????????????????????

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
Hye guys went to get an alignment today and the tech told me that my rack is leaking from booth side of the boot meaning i need a new rack 216k miles.

what are my options??????????????

the steering is still perfect no noise no loss of steering

just leaking very slightly should i get a new rack or keep on driving till its dead???????????????

Autozone reman rack are about $400

mustang 5.0 rack ??????? anyone done these??? how hard is the conversion

thanx again

Lamarossa

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
You can drive it til it dies, just have to keep refilling it (mine can empty it in a few hours). RockAuto.com has a remanufactured one for $150 + $125 Core plus shipping.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I read the Mustang rack conversion process once, it's pretty simple if you can weld, which if I racall you can right Lam?

It was just a matter of pulling the rack, measuring the end to end distance, cutting off the ends, welding them on the Mustang rack, and re-installing. There was no mention of making mounting points, but I assume you would have to do this.

This will also get you manual steering - so you'll save some weight from the power steering assembly, and some driveline drag will go away as you don't have to run a power steering pump anymore.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I got very lucky.
I had a slow leak also. Thought it was the rack, drivers side boot was all wet all the time. Started checking into what parts to get to replace the hoses. Got it up on the jack stands and had my girlfriend turn the wheels while I verified where it was leaking. It was leaking where the high pressure line goes into the rack. I ordered a new high pressure line gasket and noticed when I took the old one off where it looks like some dirt or something got under it when it was installed last creating a gap for fluid to leak.
Now No More Leak :)

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
QUOTE....just leaking very slightly should i get a new rack or keep on driving till its dead???????????????

Don't wait !!! I did. It blew the seal out on the drivers side while on the freeway in downtown L.A. on Sat. afternoon, Labor day weekend, on my way to the "Hot Import Nights" car show. Luckily, I quickly found the "only" gas station in the whole area, and they had ATF. I fed it all the way home (100 miles), after the show. My car was a real mess of oil.

I did the rack in my '89. It was a simple job. Reman cost $250 at Carquest Parts. Use a new 'banjo' gasket from toy dealer for high side hose. Change the return hose while you are there. I didn't. So......3:00 pm, Wed. before Thanksgiving, 200 miles from home on way to friends, return hose sprung a leak about 1/2 way up the foot long hose. Middle of B.F.E.....starting to get dark...1 little gas station....and no help. I lucked out and saw 2 fellows selling tires out of a trailer near the gas station. They had an old 3/8" air hose. They gave me a piece, I crawled under and slapped it on, thru in some ATF, and away I went.

Change the parts now....save yourself trouble at the most worst of times.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have an extra rack off of an '88. Dunno if it has PPS or anything, but will let ya have it cheap ($75?)....

Also know someone else who has an 89 parts car that may be able to sell ya his.... PM me and let me know if you need to go the "used" route. Otherwise, I recommend you just get one of them reman ones and git er done....