Short shifter...B&M....IS300...W58...R154

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
hey guys,

Just got to see my friends IS300 5speed with his new B&M short shifter...HOLY COW what a difference! I know those have the W58 or 56 ( cant remember) trannies which are direct linkage into the tranny box, just like our R154's......

I saw his stock shifter unit, and it looks VERY similar to our R154 units...

Anyone have any ideas about if I could possibly swap a B&M into my R154? I havent found anything on the searches I have conducted....And wanted to see if anyone has already tried it, so it would save me and justin some time swapping them out... :eek3dance

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Jason T said:
If bolts into the box and not remote then will fit W58/R154 :biggrinbo

Thats the thing, the bottem ball part and bushing and such look IDENTICLE...even if the 4 bolt square plates dont fit...I will just take mine off and put it on the B&M/IS300 shifter...

I think I may have something here...since alot of bad info comes off of SF ( LOL LOL LOL) I will just have to see WHAT is different myself....If its just a small thing...Its going it.

I just cant see spending $350 on the SS C's replica...thats just an INSANCE price for a short shifter... :thumbsdow

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
That would definitely be cool. I know that the W58s and R154s are all supposed to have the same shifters - the SSS shifter is supposed to be able to be used in MkII, MkIII and MkIV[NA] model Supras.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
drunk_medic said:
That would definitely be cool. I know that the W58s and R154s are all supposed to have the same shifters - the SSS shifter is supposed to be able to be used in MkII, MkIII and MkIV[NA] model Supras.

The MKIV N/A cars used a totally different shifter setup in their W58's, it was an external setup because the shifter hole was in a different spot to fit the V160. I never managed to confirm whether the IS300 one would fit the MK3 or not, but it will be good to have someone try it.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
looks like you may be on to something. this sounds like a better option than spending a big wad of money on something like a C's shifter like i did. keep us posted on how this turns out

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I might try it. I dunno.. if it's cheap, I guess I could get an EBay one, and sell it to take a little hit on price if it doesn't work. I'll take a look to see how "cheap" they are.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The IS300 5 speed is exactly set up like our supras...believe me, me and justing have taken that thing apart numerous times to check the clutch out and what not. Its not a seperated linkage like the V160 or N/A mk4 W58's...its just like our R154!

We will find out when I get his stock shifter and plug it in mine and go down the road...LOL. Or maybe he will even let me plug in his B&M!

NOTE: He is on his second B&M shifter.the first one made weird noises and looked like it was missing pieces when he ordered it from TITAN ms. He sent it back after a couple of days and read some threads on the B&M beingthe best...so he gave it another shot...he is REALLY glad he did....His had a LOAD of parts extra that the other didnt come with.

I hope I might be on to something...that shifter is AMAZING!

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
i am interested as well. looking at the pictures it appears to have the same basic design like the SS replica. however i have a feeling without modification it will not work. Good luck and i will be looking forward to the results.

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
I was the one that tried out the b&m and posted the result on the old forum, before everything got deleted. This mod is for you if you like really short throw and your transmission is in smooth operating condition. There are several modification that you have to do for this to work.
1. You have to cut the two pins in the shifter housing off because the b&m shifter has a ball right underneath the pivot point that would hit the pins when you try to shift. Therefore, you either have to cut the pins off or grind down the ball.
2. The four mounting holes on the b&m don't lineup with the ones on the housing. You have to drill new holes.
3. You have to make a spacer about 1" thick. I used an old housing off of a w58. works great.
4. You have to get longer bolts.
5. You have to either reuse your white bushing or buy new one because the one that came with shifter is meant for the is300 and is too big.

I'll post pics of everything when I come back. I'm selling mine, too.

Last edited:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
The IS300 has the W58....now here is the SS shifter (c's replica) on supra sports webpage:
SupraSport presents this very exclusive variable height Sport Shifter made for W58 and R154 5spd Toyota transmissions (81-92). The fulcrum point on this shifter is raised to allow at least a 33% reduction in shift throw.

Here is the B&M for the IS:
supra_1848_59922462

Here is a post I found on SF by JJH:
the IS 300 shifter does not work the upper housing on the transmission is higher on the IS trans and the bolt pattern is off by like 3 centermeters lol

and this thread:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253748&highlight=Short+Shifter

But there is STILL no SOLID evidence it doesnt work.
My friend justin called me just now, he said we could meet up this weekend and see if his STOCK IS300 shifter would work, since it would be shorter, PERIOD.
And that being said, if it DID fit....well the B&M would surely fit.

We will find out...and I will get some nice pics too, and use a lower MP than 3....those pics are too big to upload, Grim knows ahahahha

till then,

Jonathan

mkiiiowner

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego, ca
here are the pictures:
The first picture is how everything look bolted up together. The second pic shows the spacer. It's the top part of a w58 shifter housing. The fourth pic shows the two pins that have cut. I'm selling the whole thing for $95 shipped. I'll also include longer bolts. If you want my housing with the cut pins, I'll include it but you're going to have to send me your r154 housing so that I can use the stock shifter again. Post any questions if you want to do it yourself. I'll be more than happy to help.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg