MK3 or MK4?????

PRpimp3o3

da puerto rican supra man
Apr 2, 2005
CO
I have been thinking about selling my 92 to buy a 94. What are the ups and downs of selling mine and getting the 94. Do you think it would be a good idea to do it because he only wants 8000 for it and its twin. any help would be appreciated thank you.

supraredliner

Oldschool player
May 8, 2005
NC
Anythings possible in this world. But I'd watch my ass on this one. Besides the questionable deal. To answer your question, The MKIV as expected is a newer more powerful and advanced model. The engine is almost bullet proof from the factory, the suspension is a playful mix of Luxary and sport. And as for the rest of the car, it's basically built around the driver. Now for the MKIII the engine, well has some issues. The suspension is rounding out it's 20th year under the car. But To those of us mkIII lovers the body is a classic mix of old school japanese that says "Muscle". I like the MKIV to be honest I would be beyond happy to own one. But still it looks kinda like a well used bar of soap. A mean bar of soap, but still. The MKIII on the other hand has muscular lines, just look at Supraofdooms sig. I say keep the mkiii and put a 1jz, or a 2jz in it. Then you'll have what you honestly wanted from the mkIV but it'll still be a MKIII.

supraredliner

Oldschool player
May 8, 2005
NC
I am sorry but I just spent too much time obsessing over mkIII's. Did you know the Turbo A edition was the fastest car in Japan from the time it came out till the R32 debut. That's history, and it made me proud everyday that at one time the car I drove, in racing trim was the fastest in Japan.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Go with your heart. If you really want a MkIV then do it. If you really want a ford pinto... do it.

The MkIV is a GREAT car - and it should be. It is a Toyota afterall. The MkIV has years of research behind it. That research also brought us the MkIII and the MkII. I still remember seeing parts in the new Lexus line that came directly out of the MkIII Supra - take a look at the original cars that came out under the Lexus badge.

The MkIV is was the peak of Toyota technology when it came out in 1993.

Is it still the shiznit? Compare the NA verision of the MkIV to the NA cars that are coming out these days. 220hp for the MkIV vs nearly 300hp for today's cars. Hell... today's NA cars are rapidly catching up to the TT MkIV. Think what would happen to those cars with a turbo on top. WOOHOO!

Sure... the MkIV will get more attention. But you have to remember that with that attention also comes the unwanted attention from Johnny Law.

At the end of the day the MkIII CAN be built to compete head to head with the best and most powerfull MkIVs - just because we haven't seen many people do it yet (anyone here remember Russ's MkII that can totally smoke the MkIVs in the 1320?).

Take your personal preference and run with it.

Me personally? I would trade my MkIII in a heartbeat for a tricked out 33 Ford Roadster w/ Rumble Seat - and as soon as I finish the Supra will start building my Hot Rod.

Don't listen to anyone but yourself. But don't sell your MkIII until you have a guaranteed line on the car you want.

Keith Hart

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I have to agree with KeithH: get what you really want.

People told me not to get my 1st Supra. I did not listen to them and I was so glad to have it.
People told me not to get my bikes for so many reasons. I did not listen to them and I am I did not.
People told me not to get my MKIII. Again, I am so glad to do what I wanted instead.

One person's idea of heaven may be someone elses idea of hell, and vise versa.

To me, you don't seem so sure if you have to ask. I was always thrilled to get my machines -- I knew without a doubt that I wanted them. As far as cars go, I would not make a move unless I was 100% sure I wanted the 'car to be.' To me, it is not worth the transaction fees to get something I am not sure about.

I say keep the mkiii and buy the mkiv!
heh For me, one Supra is enough.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Well if my buddy can nab a 96' Eclipse GST in MINT condition with 100K lady driven miles for $3300 out the door, the $8K doesnt sound too far off.

Before I got my mk3, I nearly got an automatic 140K mile 94' TT with some mods from a guy in GA....for $9K....but he sold it to fast. :(

But its a remote possibilty that whoever has the car doesnt know what they have, or just wants it out of the way QUICK

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
$8000 for a twin turbo supra, SCAM!!! No way someone would give up their MKIV supra turbo for way less then what it is worth. Unless there is a major problem with it.

As for the mkIII, keep it, it's a 92 and you know how rare those are.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
superiorsupra said:
$8000 for a twin turbo supra, SCAM!!! No way someone would give up their MKIV supra turbo for way less then what it is worth. Unless there is a major problem with it.

As for the mkIII, keep it, it's a 92 and you know how rare those are.

Or a ladies husband died and it was his car...and she new nothing about it....just thought it was another Toyota...and sold it really cheaply to get it out of the driveway.....

That kind of scenario happens all the time! Like I said, my friend just 2 days ago picked up a GST eclipse for $3300 with only 100K miles and in MINT condition and a 96!

They are there ( the deals) but you must must must look for them!

Heck, a guy on honda-tech was selling a GSR chassis in the Si electric blue with OEM Type-R front end conversion and complete interior for like $3000 too....just no motor...but the front end conversion alone cost the guy well over $2K.....

Again, they are there just not easy to find.

-Jonathan

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Mm not seeing a connection with Shit-subishis and Acuras - this is about a MK4. There are odd instances of things happening like that, but I doubt they happen 'all the time' - especially with a MK4 TT

PRpimp3o3

da puerto rican supra man
Apr 2, 2005
CO
1 guy i know bought a carrera gt from a lady that took the car from her husband in a divorce and only paid 500 because the lady hated her ex that much so anything is possible but i think im juss gonna keep my car and try to buy this car by other means then selling my 92 but thanks for all the imput.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Squid699 said:
Mm not seeing a connection with Shit-subishis and Acuras - this is about a MK4. There are odd instances of things happening like that, but I doubt they happen 'all the time' - especially with a MK4 TT

The only reason you dont think it could happen is because you know how much its worth...to some of us it would be hard to comprehend the GENERAL publics knowledge of car value.....but after working at a Dodge dealership ( no longer there, it sucked) I saw so many people get ripped a new one on trade ins....

I think they gave one guy with an 04' SRT-10 Viper (red) like $50K with only 7500 miles...we sold it for $80K+....he traded for the viper powered truck...thats just on an extreme note....

But again, if the person in possesion doesnt know what they have...how do you think the would know how to go to KBB.com or NADA.com and get a resale price quote?

They wont.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I sold this one lady’s car her husband once owned (he died).
She did not even know how to advertise it. She was putting it in the local newspaper which was costing here quite a bit with little readers. I told her I would put it in the Want Ad Digest (a local weekly ad) that costs nothing unless you sell; and has many, many viewers. She shortly sold it after I looked up the value and put up an ad.

Look at computers for example. Many ads I have seen are asking for more than what a new one would cost. People are not aware of the retail to depreciated value over a two year period. By looking at an ad in the local listing, it was quite apparent that many just don't know the actual value of what they have -- or were they all just scammers or hoping to be scammers?

I have seen deals before. It is possible, but it may be shady. All you can do is just check it out thoroughly.