A "Moral Dilemma"

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Just curious what others would do...

My Mom's Cavalier was driving really crappy, more so than ussual, and the front tires were wearing really fast (excessive torque?). So she takes it to some garage for an alignment, the d00ds say the bushings are bad, and they need replaced, as she qouted "unless you're only driving in the city"... Then they hit her with a qoute to do it, $300 + parts. She debates for a while, and decides to bring it home. She tells me about it, and I call around and get some prices, $40/side to replace the bushings. We call them up, and they qoute it at $75/side. I know shops are always going to take advantage of women, especialy older women, but WTF? So I run to town, get the bushings for $42.-- and start chaning them. Sure I had to take the whole front assembly apart (struts, hub, control arm, tie rod end, and sway bar) but the job was really a peice of cake. Well, I take that back, All of it but pressing the new bushings in... Anyway, my question is, should I let my mom pay me? I know I should be greatful that she brought me into this world and all, and that shes still letting me live here for free while I'm in school, but isn't my time worth something also? I had a lot of crapp I could have, and would have rather been doing, but I knew that those assholes would have ripped her off. I figured I'd charge $100-or less, way less, for it. I was just curious what others may do if faced with something like this.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I don't really see a problem for paying you for the parts, but personally I wouldn't charge her anything for the labor. That's just me I guess. That is a very nice thing you did for your mother.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i would just make her pay for the cost of parts. thats it. she's your mom dude, dont charge her for labor. think of how much money it cost her to raise you, and support you.

in 1981, to raise a child from birth to age 18 it cost $180,000. swallow that, then think about charging your mom for labor.

(i didnt mean it to sound harsh, and i'm too lazy to edit it, so ill just keep typing haha)

bottom line, dont charge her labor.

-shaeff

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
i would charge her. Not a lot.......Whatever the difference of $100 minus the cost of parts. You have mechanical expertise, it is a valuable commodity. Help out your friends and family, but don't let them take advantage of you - even the best of people can take it for granted you will work on their car next time theres an issue. I had to straight up tell my mom I wouldn't work on her cars since I've got so many other cars demanding my attention.

L

lanky189

i charged to detail/wax my mom's but thats non-essential labor... if it were a matter of her car falling apart and becoming dangerous.. id have done it no problem...thank god for extended warranties tho.. an 04 malibu is no supra to fix...

did i just say that?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
My motto is there is no owing between family .If you didn't want to do it for her you didn't have to. And if she feels like your effort was worth something she will pay you.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Squid699 said:
i would charge her. Not a lot.......Whatever the difference of $100 minus the cost of parts. You have mechanical expertise, it is a valuable commodity. Help out your friends and family, but don't let them take advantage of you - even the best of people can take it for granted you will work on their car next time theres an issue. I had to straight up tell my mom I wouldn't work on her cars since I've got so many other cars demanding my attention.

Still the SM resident asshole.....SCORE! :rolleyes:

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I agree that if she wants to give you money, she will. I would probably ask her to make me a homemade lasagna. None of that buy-it-at-the-grocery-store shit. HOMEMADE! If you're going to slave on her car, she should slave in the kitchen.:D:D:D:D

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I would never ask her for the money, I was just wondering if I should take the money if she offered it. Thanks for the input though.

Lasagna does sound really nice though. :rolleyes: