Damn sunroof is leaking...

S

SupraSith

It's rainy season now down here in So Fla, so my supra is getting soaked. Before I spend a fortune having someone fix it, is there anything I can look for myself to diagnose the problem?

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Most likely just need new rubers im having the same problem with my targa top and also live in Florida. But if the rubers arent in that poor of condition then you could just get clear silicon and re seal them.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
I also live in Fla. (central Fla.) my Supra leaks at the back corner of the sunroof on the drivers side (drips) and when you apply the brakes you get a waterfall out the front corner on both sides. Using spray silicone on the rubber slowed things down but did not stop it.
This car also has leaks from around the spoiler mounts filling up the hatch lid so that when you lift up the hatch water dribbles out from under the inside of the plastic trim inside the hatch. There is also a leak around the radio ant. that causes the compartment on that side in the rear to collect water however this has been stopped with silicon sealer-- alas these cars are getting old but I love em.

ps 8 inches of rain in one month has not helped!!!!

S

SupraSith

Don't all sunroofs leak to a degree? Isn't there some sort of runoff / drainage for when the water does get through? That was my understanding.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
If these cars are set up like most then it most likely has a drain tube the goes from the sunroof under the headliner and back down through one of the rear quarter panels. If this tube is there and is clogged then you will definitely get water in the car as it cant drain properly.

S

SupraSith

mk3forme said:
If these cars are set up like most then it most likely has a drain tube the goes from the sunroof under the headliner and back down through one of the rear quarter panels. If this tube is there and is clogged then you will definitely get water in the car as it cant drain properly.

I think that's what's happening, cause the rubber around my sunroof looks pretty good.

Now how do I go about unclogging the drain tube?

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
thats a good question sith. That tube has to be pretty long and there is no telling where the clog might be. I wont say a coat hanger as it wont be long enough and you take a chance on puncturing the tube. Myabe a fish tape that you use to fish wires through walls in a house. I would find the end from both directions (the sunroof side and the other side it drains out of the car) and run it in from both directions. Theres a good chance that if there is an obstruction, that it isnt to far down in the tube and you wont have to run something from the sunroof side all the way to the other. On the down side if you run it from the outside of the car toward the sunroof then it might not do anything but push the obstruction back further towards the sunroof which wouldnt help things at all. Probably better to dislodge in the same direction that water flows out of the car. Another thing you might try is blowing compressed air into the hose. . Sorry for rambling. Just typing what comes to mind.

S

SupraSith

baodownbia said:
supradan did new rubber seals fix ur leaking targa problem? cuz i've had the same problem...

Not targa. Sunroof.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
baodownbia said:
supradan did new rubber seals fix ur leaking targa problem? cuz i've had the same problem...

I just re sealled them with clear silicon and it worked fine for me. Just make sure the silicon is dry before you put the targa back on.

baodownbia

May 30, 2005
houston, tx
supradan22 said:
I just re sealled them with clear silicon and it worked fine for me. Just make sure the silicon is dry before you put the targa back on.

does the silicon mess up when u take the targa off and on? or did u decide to reseal and leave the targa on for good?

Guitarboarder28

learner
Dec 20, 2010
New Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Wayne G.;32484 said:
I also live in Fla. (central Fla.) my Supra leaks at the back corner of the sunroof on the drivers side (drips) and when you apply the brakes you get a waterfall out the front corner on both sides. Using spray silicone on the rubber slowed things down but did not stop it.
This car also has leaks from around the spoiler mounts filling up the hatch lid so that when you lift up the hatch water dribbles out from under the inside of the plastic trim inside the hatch. There is also a leak around the radio ant. that causes the compartment on that side in the rear to collect water however this has been stopped with silicon sealer-- alas these cars are getting old but I love em.

I just started getting this problem :( whats the best solution?

ps 8 inches of rain in one month has not helped!!!!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Use new seals on targa. Silcone messes up the tracks. The seals are supposed to slide a tad into place when installing the targa. Thus silicone ruins them, makes a mess of them, and there stupid expensive to replace. use silicone or tar strips at the front seal in the corner to raise the seal up to get a better seal and thats it.

If you can get and got the money i would still put a new seal for the sunroof if you plan on keeping the car. Well worth the piece of mind.