Slow spool and no power after 4500

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
I fixed my knock sensor, and the car runs SO much better. But now the boost is building pretty slow (I dont really know what is supposed to feel like, this is the only supra I have driven) and I runs out of steam above 4500 rpm. A friend suggested that the DP cat may be clogged (already cleaned out the other one), anyone have any ideas? I will be getting a new exhaust next month probably, and if it is the cat, an exhaust would fix it, but hoping to make it a little more fun to drive for this next month. Thanks guys.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Just get rid of those blasted cats :) more power and emissions problems

Seriously though, an aftermarket DP will eliminate the 1st cat (normally the problemed child) and I would go with a test pipe but if you wish a high flow will work by itself fine as well.

On a relatively stock car I would say most of the time if its running out of steam at high RPM its probably a clogged cat.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
GrimJack said:
To test this, just pull off the exhaust at the turbo elbow and take it for a test drive. If it improves drastically, there's your problem.

and wear earplugs! ;)

-shaeff

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
shaeff said:
and wear earplugs! ;)

-shaeff

Dude, even running an open STOCK downpipe and cranking the boost to 11psi, you will scare the sh!t out of any Honda owner. It will be louder than any of their fart cans, but it will sound better and meaner. When the boost hits for the first time that you experiment with this.. well, let's just say that you need to bring a change of clothes, whether you skeet or crap your pants - or both.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ thats how i felt when i first got my car running. i was running an open BIC DDP. it was amazing! (only at 7psi or so) LOUD! hahahaha (cant wait to get a cutout!)

-shaeff

vanman

May 22, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
haha! Ok, thats kind of what I figured, I am going to get a 935 DIY 3" here pretty soon, so I guess I will fix the other stuff wrong with it. I just blew a coolant hose, and I got to fix the brakes and a few interior issues.