Insurance help please

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I called geico on Monday to find out what the process is for getting a check, and they said it would go through adjuster review and then get mailed out to me after that. Well this morning the adjuster calls me and says since I still have a lienholder on the policy, they will only make payment to a body shop and I need to call them back and tell them which one. wtf do I do now, I've got parts coming in from all over?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
find a friend in a body shop give him like $10 to cash the check for you, he gets it as taxes too, so its a win win, or you could call these guys up and tell them you want ur damn money or else.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
oh boy

you best be carefull as you are treading on thin ice. The last thing you want to get caught for a defrauding you insurance company. If you think they are bad.. just wait until they get wiff of a defraud.. they become satan himself.

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
i think i found a solution, beg the parents for a loan to pay off the car, get the insurance check mailed to me, and then pay my parents for the next 3 years instead of the bank. i would still be 'undecided on the body shop' and therefore no actual defrauding will be taking place

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
cwapface said:
i think i found a solution, beg the parents for a loan to pay off the car, get the insurance check mailed to me, and then pay my parents for the next 3 years instead of the bank. i would still be 'undecided on the body shop' and therefore no actual defrauding will be taking place

ahhh i liked me second suggestion better threaten the SOBs.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Best choice is you last one.
The insurance company does not care if you don't spend the money on the car. It's your money, you can do what you want with it.
However, they do have a duty to the leinholder to give them the money BECAUSE THEY OWN THE CAR. Untill you pay it off, you don't own the car.

So, the insurance company policy has language in there that protects the owner of the car, and in this case, it's the leinholder.

It also protects you from liability claims up to the limit of the policy, so when you screw up and break something, or injure someone, the insurance company will either pay or defend you from the other party making a claim against your neglegence.

Get ready, the process of paying off the title, and having your policy changed might take a few days or weeks to process. (If the state is involved, figure weeks or months.)

S

SupraSith

If this were a homeowner's claim, the insurance co. would just make the check payable to both you and the mortgage company (i.e. leinholder). You would then make arrangements with your mortgage company as to how repairs are done.

We've had clients who do their own repairs all the time. The mortgage company just releases the funds in increments (usually three dispersals) and supervises the repair progress. I'm not sure how an auto policy differs from a homeowner's though.

I would contact the leinholder and get their opinion on it. Tell them you already have receipts for parts that you can send them.