Funny 'quote'.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know...must be a Starwars geek thing...whatcha think CK?

J/K Grim I have little giggle everytime I hear someone talk like Yoda...even though I'm not a Starwars fan.

L

lanky189

yoda's grammar is correct..

a rarely used passive voice, it is.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
csr ma71 said:
I don't get it. Unless it involves monkeys acting like humans, it's just not funny.
Scout "How did you know?"
Yoda "Grand Master of Jedi, I am. Win this position in raffle, think you?"
The way I analyzed -- I did think about it briefly -- is as follows:

Scout was asking Yoda how he was aware of a piece of information.

Being that Yoda is supposedly super smart and all knowing, he states who he is and his credentials, then sarcastically asks Scout if it is by random chance that he is Grand Master.

Why would it be funny to some?
Two reasons:
1) I would guess that in a work setting (Grim’s workplace), it reminds a manager/higher-up (as Grand Master) what he/she could tell a rookie (as Scout): that it is more than just chance that got him/her to be where he/she currently is. (Possibly, when reading it, other coworkers came to mind with the same symbolic roles as the story.)

2) At another level, just the way Yoda talks is funny. [EDIT: I just remembered that I have also heard Grim say, "me thinks," so he likes that kind of weird talk :p lol]

OK Grim, was I right on my first part?
Grade my literature skills.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well... honestly, I think it's funny because Scout is asking a question with an obvious answer, and Yoda, who has been silly upon occasion but is usually serious, is making fun of him.

PS: methinks is actually one word - and is geek talk for "I think that..."

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Let me rephrase it in 'normal' circumstances.

Director of the FBI: Hello Johnny. I like your boyscout uniform - nice collection of badges you have there. How are your parents, Tim and Susan treating you?

Johnny: How did you know my parents names?

Director of the FBI: Johnny, I am the head of the FBI. Do you think I got this position by accident?

Adding the Star Wars background just adds to the joke.

L

lanky189

Tony Mawad said:
The way I analyzed -- I did think about it briefly -- is as follows:

Scout was asking Yoda how he was aware of a piece of information.

Being that Yoda is supposedly super smart and all knowing, he states who he is and his credentials, then sarcastically asks Scout if it is by random chance that he is Grand Master.

Why would it be funny to some?
Two reasons:
1) I would guess that in a work setting (Grim’s workplace), it reminds a manager/higher-up (as Grand Master) what he/she could tell a rookie (as Scout): that it is more than just chance that got him/her to be where he/she currently is. (Possibly, when reading it, other coworkers came to mind with the same symbolic roles as the story.)

2) At another level, just the way Yoda talks is funny. [EDIT: I just remembered that I have also heard Grim say, "me thinks," so he likes that kind of weird talk :p lol]

OK Grim, was I right on my first part?
Grade my literature skills.

holy crap!

please tell me you're an analyst of some sort...if not you missed your calling man! ;)

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
lanky189 said:
holy crap!

please tell me you're an analyst of some sort...if not you missed your calling man! ;)
heheh Lanky, I am very flattered! I was wrong though, although I did provide some basis. I am just someone who had to take couple of courses in literature.

Also I am good at analyzing my own dreams, which is the way I analyzed the quote Grim mentioned. All my dreams make much sense to me, and I know exactly what my subconscious is wrestling with when I think about them. In my dreams there are much symbolic representations. All I have to do is think of what happened the previous day and look for similarities, and bingo. I am a good dreamer – I only wish I could remember more of them when I wake up because they accurately tell me what is on my mind and aren’t too hard to figure out. I think you will only be aware of them if you are not in a deep sleep. (It has been said that you dream every time you sleep.)