NA cams causing higher idle?

R

Rczop2

Hi, Im new to the forum and this is my first post. My question is, would NA cams cause a higher idle than with the stock cams? My 90T is a 5spd and ith has some BPU's, but the only thing different as far as motor work goes, the NA cams are in instead of the turbo cams. The idle as of right now is about 800 - 900 RPM. I believe the stock idle is at 650 - 700 RPM. Right? Also should I retard timing to 12-14 degrees before TDC with the NA cams? Thanks for your time.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
RETARD your timing to that? Stock timing is 10* BTDC. You shouldn't be going much over 12 to begin with.......as for your question, no. I have NA cams and if anything I idle low, which i doubt is connected.

R

Rczop2

My mistake. I mean retard the timing to 8 degrees or more. As for the idle, any ideas?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
some of the earlier throttle bodies have an adjustment screw so you can adjust your idle....my 91 engine didn't have one so I'm guessing your 90 wont either. Unless you're running some serious boost, you should keep your timing between 10 and 12