Undercover replacement...

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I recently replace timing and stuff and my undercover for the engine is in shall we say bad shape. It's being held up with only 6 bolt at max and mostly zip tie. I am thinking of replacing it with a one piece AL sheet using bracket to install it in. I check out the price and it around 35$ for a 24x36 piece of AL. What do you guys use to replace the undercover or do you just run without the undercover at all. There is also sheet metal and it less expensive but might rust since it expose to all that stuff.

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
I think that would be rather loud if it flexed in the wind, or got hit by rocks... toyota dealers still have the undercover available, if ya want to pay that much.

sathu said:
I recently replace timing and stuff and my undercover for the engine is in shall we say bad shape. It's being held up with only 6 bolt at max and mostly zip tie. I am thinking of replacing it with a one piece AL sheet using bracket to install it in. I check out the price and it around 35$ for a 24x36 piece of AL. What do you guys use to replace the undercover or do you just run without the undercover at all. There is also sheet metal and it less expensive but might rust since it expose to all that stuff.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
i have heard a lot of people that just take them off just because they are a neusence(sp?), i have 2 small peices of mine still intac but thats it, never had a problem. just dont drive really fast on gravel roads, i guess, no problems yet for me "knock on wood".

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
D34DC311 said:
i have heard a lot of people that just take them off just because they are a neusence(sp?), i have 2 small peices of mine still intac but thats it, never had a problem. just dont drive really fast on gravel roads, i guess, no problems yet for me "knock on wood".

I wish I'd had known that they're so desirable, I threw mine away just because I didn't want to put it back on. It was in perfect shape too. :D

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the undercover should be kept on at all times. it forces air to go in through the intercooler/radiator area, rather then from under the car. this means that your radiator and intercooler will be working more efficiently.

-shaeff

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I don't think it would make much noise on freeway if you install it correctly and use all possible bolt. Rock hitting it would make noise, but then I don't travel on gravel road anyway :). If you use Al, I think it much cooler than plastic and hot air travel up, not down :). It might even give you better underbody air travel too. I am gona go to Toyota dealer and see how much are they charging for the plastic and compare to the cost of the Al. It just that no one sell the size I am looking for, 36x40, and that is about 45$ plus taxes max which I think is cheaper than the plastic from dealer.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I've seen several Mk.IIIs without it and they seem to run OK.
But I recently replace mine with a new factory one.
I had high speed cooling problems without it. I still had cooling problems with it, but it was greatly improved with it on.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
shaeff said:
the undercover should be kept on at all times. it forces air to go in through the intercooler/radiator area, rather then from under the car. this means that your radiator and intercooler will be working more efficiently.

-shaeff

My car runs noticeably cooler with it off. :boink:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^ wierdo ;)

I also noticed a temp drop after installing mine. I only drove the car a few times without it on but those were the only times i saw the guage actually get up to 1/2 way... maybe a little tiny bit over.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I had also planed to do something similar... more for looks tho. I am installing a single and we already know that it's a PITA to keep the engine bay clean. I've noticed that my GF's MKIV is much cleaner in the engine bay with that undercover. Maybe it keeps road-spray from coming up in there or whatever.

I also planned to make a rear diffuser, using fiberglass. Not necessarily a functional item, but to hide my ugly-@$$ gas tank...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
never had mine. car runs fine. maybe one day i will pick up a new one to install, but for now i have bigger fish to fry.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yea, for what it is... seems a bit pricey. I think I payed like 110-120 from Jay Marks when mine was demolished by a truck tire.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Jeff Lange said:
Yup, it's about $120 at Jay Marks. :)

Yeah, I figured it'd be worth my time and $$ to just use a VERY thin sheet of aluminum... at least to keep some of the dirt/water away. I had planned to fab-up a shroud as well... just a little more work. If you guys do some of this (before I do), I'd like to see some pics and get some tips.

E