calling all computer dorks, need a laptop

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
first off i dont mean dork in a bad way. so i'm off to college next fall and i need a laptop. but i dont know what to buy because me and computers mix about as well as acids and bases. i've been known to start yelling and throwing stuff trying to work a dvd player. so any suggestions on a laptop that is fast with a cd burner and a dvd player. i think i would need a pc because i'm studying engineering. weight is no issue cuz it will live on my desk the whole year. and something with good customer support, i'll need it. thanks guys

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
i bought a Sony Viao PCG-K33 not long ago it's been pretty sweet. 3GHz 512mb of ram, ATI Radeon IGP video, widescreen monitor (best looking laptop monitor ever). Pretty good deal for 1200 bucks.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Well I have a sager. This thing is an absolute beast though. I doubt it could be called a laptop. More like a portable desktop replacement. It weighs 11lbs. But it's really powerful. It plays all the current generation games with out a problem. Runs auto cad no problem and renders things with out a problem. Plus they have an awesome forum that is really helpful if something goes wrong(www.sagerforums.com). I love my laptop and would recommend it for anybody needing a powerful portable computer or a computer that doesn’t take up much room on your desk. If you don't have a need for something so powerful, several of my friends have Toshibas. There smaller lighter and many of them have an awesome screen. There good reliable computers. The only real down side to them is they come with a ton of junk programs preloaded just taking up space. It all really depends on what you need to do with this laptop. If you need a very portable laptop then look for the Intel centrino badge. That badge indicates that the laptop meets certain criteria for wireless connectivity, light weight, and long battery life. The down side is the price tag compared to other none centrino laptops.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
well your going to college right, so you need this for writing, look for comfort first, so many people buy laptops and then cant stand the keys,
look for a good size hardrive
new if possible 64bit processor, new age man its coming
upgradability, as in ram and pc slots, just ask or they will be listed on the side, if you have the 3 diffrent styles of pc slots you can just upgrade some stuff when you need it
the vaio looks promissing but as far as customer service just keep the company in mind. hp breaks to fast, dell is dependable but cheep, if you want customer service get a company that is devoted to this one thing and not every electronic on the market ilke sony. sony is good but not a company i would trust as far as service goes, its simply to big for it to do that.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
americanjebus said:
new if possible 64bit processor, new age man its coming
QUOTE]

umm NO, 64 bit windows hasnt even made it big yet, there are 2 games that have a 64bit version and thats it. why spend an extra $200 on 32 more bits that wont get you anywhere till everthing is up dated, this will happen but in like 2 years. and by the time this does happen the system he bought will be so outdated it might not be able to handle the 64bit aplications hitting the market.

you want support, you cant have it, srry. I have yet to find a good laptop company that has good support, or atleast people on the other side who know a lick about computers, let alone you cant under stand them(all the tech jobs are going to india). whats your price range? what are you using it for? and apparently its going to need to be rugged you throwing it around.

answer these and I can find you one that will fit all of the above, without taking your walet and smoking it.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
hey thanks guys. is the sager expencive? kinda sounds like it. i wont be playing games on it, i never got into computer games or anything. i dont know what my price range exactly, lets say that its modest. i wont be playing games, just word prossors and skool stuff. it will be sitting on my desk most of the time so weight is not much of a concern but i dont wan a monster. and durability is always nice. i hear now you can get some that have a cf casing, thatd be tight. would any of this be compatible with an i-pod? i dont have one now but i might save up enough for one later.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
I am in the same predicament, and I was actually considering a Mac. Is this wise or ill-advised? My accounting cirriculum requires it, for quickbooks among other programs. I don't care about its game playing capabilities, I still have a desktop anyhow. Any suggestions? I don't wanna break the bank either.

-J

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
souprat said:
i wont be playing games on it, i never got into computer games or anything. dont know what my price range exactly, lets say that its modest. i wont be playing games, just word prossors and skool stuff. it will be sitting on my desk most of the time so weight is not much of a concern but i dont wan a monster. and durability is always nice. i hear now you can get some that have a cf casing, thatd be tight. would any of this be compatible with an i-pod? i dont have one now but i might save up enough for one later.

ok then 32MB will be fine as a video card. and ram can be around 512. no HD is going to need to be huge, i suggest u buy an internal, buy a IDE to USB/firewire external case, and make yourself a external HD, this is sence u want music. small files will slow down a comp like no other. as for music sence u want a HD, any college is full of music all over the damn network, here at tech we have about around 600K + songs all different shared on the network all free. unless you buy a $30 laptop from 1989 u will have USB plugs and ur ipod will connect perfect with these. also when you are using ITunes go download a program called Mytunesredux it lets you copy all the music you want to your hard drive with out streaming it off someone else comp. i really hate people who stream so DONT. as for a durable shell on the Laptop thats going to cost you extra like $100 extra. if you dont want to spend $$$ on a harder shell go get it rhino lined LOL it works.
these are sites that are good for Laptops. besides ebay.
Tigerdirect.com
Newegg.com
Pricewatch.com <--- this is not for buying only finding the cheapest stuff, compaines have price wars all the time so %90 of the time you will find a special with couple hundred knocked off the price.
well got ne more questions?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jbsupra89t said:
I am in the same predicament, and I was actually considering a Mac. Is this wise or ill-advised? My accounting cirriculum requires it, for quickbooks among other programs. I don't care about its game playing capabilities, I still have a desktop anyhow. Any suggestions? I don't wanna break the bank either.

-J

No, macs are designed for power and unless you are going to be doing major graphics, calculations or video editing then i advise you to stick to windows. i know i hate windows too but macs arent as friendly when it comes to progs. that you might need.

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Hmmm I did not know that... now I guess it makes sense that my friend who does Graphic arts and design buys mac out the wazoo. Thanks for that bit of info.

-J

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
yea, i had a friend that went and bought a G(cant rember what # it was) Laptop, this thing had topnotch video card im talking it was able to support the software that they use to make lord of the rings. had 120GB harddrive, 3.2ghz processor, 2gigs or ram and 17" screen. this thing was the bomb, she paided like 5grand for this thing, come to find out she was playing cards and using it to check email with. UMM talk about a waste of cash. i could have given her a damn 500mhz laptop that does that shit with ease. good god you dont need C4 if a granade is going to do the job. WTF.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
americanjebus said:
the vaio looks promissing but as far as customer service just keep the company in mind...sony is good but not a company i would trust as far as service goes, its simply to big for it to do that.

I beg to differ. My friend has the same laptop I do, and he called Sony and claimed his laptop didn't come with a battery or somethin like that. So they sent him a new one for free. And the kick is...he lied about not having the battery, lol.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
You asked if sager was expensive and I would say, no there not. I got my laptop for $3500.00, for comparison Alienware(They use the same company for some of the laptop foundations) wanted $5,000.00 for the same laptop. So I would say no there not expensive. They don't have $700.00 laptops like dell. But they make very good laptops. I bought my laptop from www.pctorque.com. They have outstanding customer service and support, have better prices than Sager themselves ( www.sagernotebooks.com ) because they have a really good relationship with the parent company. They have some good laptops starting at $1200.00 just look around and see what you like.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
thanks for the replys everyone. i'll keep looking into all this and i'll check out those websites. any suggestions on anti-virus software that i should look for that ight come with the computer? and when it comes to c4 vs. a grenade, you can take the c4 and mold it into a festive piece of pottery or artwork right before you blow it up. lets see you make a set of china out of a hand grenade.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
souprat said:
thanks for the replys everyone. i'll keep looking into all this and i'll check out those websites. any suggestions on anti-virus software that i should look for that ight come with the computer? and when it comes to c4 vs. a grenade, you can take the c4 and mold it into a festive piece of pottery or artwork right before you blow it up. lets see you make a set of china out of a hand grenade.

anti-virus software= abit, *cough* *cough* I got it *cough* *cough* u want it for free *cough* *cough* PM me. for a fellow supra brother anything to help out. *cough* *cough* *ahhem*

you tell anyone and well ill... ahh who cares.

and a grenade can make a nice paper weight.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well i got a Hp with Cd burner and its the perfect college computer with Windows Xp 1.5 Giga hurts and 130 mega bites of ram full computer keyboard and all ill get rid of it for supra parts or 300 bucks its a perfect Pc for you needs and it doesnt take up too much space. I also build Pcs on the side for money so Pm if interested. oh and dont buy a Mac there only good for music and video