Experiences with Venus Auto

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
This post will probably be quite long, but I wanted to post my experiences with Venus Auto here for the benefit of others who may be looking for an engine/clip in the future.

I bought my 86.5 N/A about a year ago with the intent of swapping in a 1JZ and restoring the car to pristine condition. I have planned and saved for this project for the full year, biding my time until I had enough money so that I could reasonably complete the swap without getting bogged down and waiting for funds.

During that time, I have done quite a bit of research. I was a reader of the previous Supramania forums before they died (just got around to re-registering here). So I have seen quite a few horror stories and also some good stories regarding Venus. I also know there are other sources for 1JZ front clips, but those sources are MUCH more expensive. So much more expensive, in fact, that I could rebuild the engine with new internals for the price difference (minus free labor costs on my part).

I debated with myself for months on whether I should roll the dice on Venus' questionable service/products. Finally, I decided to look up their policies on their website and consult a lawyer friend of mine to reassure myself I would have recourse if I were to get "screwed".

I called Venus for the first time about 2 months ago and spoke with a Japanese/Oriental sounding gentleman. He was a bit curt and I couldn't understand him very well. However, I asked him several questions about the testing they do before shipping an engine and also what exactly was included in a 'front clip'. I received answers to my questions, but the phone call didn't really reassure me, since the gentleman seemed like he just wanted to get off the phone and was hard to communicate with.

For some reason, this didn't stop me from continuing to plan on buying from Venus. A few weeks went by and I decided that now was the time to order. I called them back up and was surprised to be greeted by a very cordial and helpful person named Vickie. She was very pleasant to talk to and answered all my questions thoroughly. She seemed like she really cared about customer service and my needs.

I put a $500 deposit down on the phone with Vickie and was assured I would recieve top pick of the next clips to come in. I was told the next shipment should be in within two weeks.

Two weeks went by and no word. During the third week, I called back and spoke with Vickie again. The shipment had come in, but there were no 1JZ Supra clips on it (must have been Soarer clips or something). So she assured me once again that I would be the first in line and that another shipment would be in within 3 weeks. This time she checked the shipment and there were supposed to be 3 1JZ Supra clips on the shipment.

3 weeks later I still had not heard anything. This time I was getting a little upset and braced myself as I dialed to lay into them if no clips were on this shipment also. I was ready to withdraw my deposit and start shopping elsewhere. However, Vickie said that the shipment was slightly delayed in customs and that it should be delivered the next day.

Two days go by and I decide to call back. The shipment had arrived and Vickie asked me if I would like some pictures. I gave her my email address and within a few hours I had pictures of my front clip. I noticed there was no driveshaft in the picture and was assured one would be put in the clip before shipment. I was also told my engine showed 175 psi across the board on a compression test. I gave my approval of the product and paid for the remainder of the order + delivery.

Here is the good part. Vickie was nice enough to check through 3 different shipping companies to get me the best price on shipment, since I needed liftgate delivery (unfortunately, I don't have a forklift at my house). I feel she bent over backwards to help me save about $200 on shipping. She didn't have to do that, but she did.

I expected to get a shipment confirmation the next day but instead I recieved a phone call from Vickie saying they discovered the intercooler was broken and would I like $200 refunded off the order or wait for another shipment. Wow, here was another great customer service move. Most companies, especially in the auto industry, would have just shipped it and maybe blamed damage on the shipping company or claimed ignorance. Not Venus.

The next day I was emailed a shipment confirmation and tracking information for my shipment. The shipment arrived yesterday with no damage and a good product now sits in my driveway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary: I am not sure what has changed, if anything, with Venus in the last few years, but my experience with them was great! The key here is Vickie; she is an awesome help and a cheerful person to talk to. I can see how maybe some of the other Oriental gentleman that I spoke to over these months can be construed as not caring much, but they did deliver a good product (to this point, knock on wood) and they hired the right person to take care of their customers.

I hope this helps others who are debating what to do, like I was. I would have no hesitation ordering from them again or referring friends to them, as well. :thumbup:

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
fuuny you posted this i was thinking bout getting a front clip from them to but i heard horror stories and good strories but in every one they said Vickie bent over backwards to try and help the person out i think imma give them a shot as well glad it worked out for you

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Thanks for the info man I also own a 86.5 supra and am going to do the 1jzgte swap. I just might hook up with venus and give them a call. How much was the clip from them cause I found another company in North Carolina that
sells them and there price was around 2500 dollars not including shipping costs. Just wondering Thanks once again!!!!

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
trdmk3supra said:
Thanks for the info man I also own a 86.5 supra and am going to do the 1jzgte swap. I just might hook up with venus and give them a call. How much was the clip from them cause I found another company in North Carolina that
sells them and there price was around 2500 dollars not including shipping costs. Just wondering Thanks once again!!!!

Mine was $2000 + shipping. They found a hole in the intercooler before it was shipped, which knocked off $200 on my price, but otherwise it would have been $2000. Shipping ended up being about $500 with liftgate delivery (cut that roughly in half if you are able to pick it up yourself).

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Yo man thanks do you also have their contact info on hand and if you could get that out to me. I need to get this swap done asap and start boostin and hittin the shows and the shore. I am also sponsored through sport compact pro. :greddy2:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I have been looking at this company for a while (like 6 months.) problem i have with their site is no prices and its all call, and i work during their work hours, and i cant call long distance(i work in Nashville TN), I have been refered to this company a lot.know that you have posted this it makes me want to buy from them even more. thnx for the write up on this great company.

lenny

Apr 6, 2005
socal
I have also had good experience with them. But one thing i must warn you about, although they say they have done a compression test, my clip looked like the plugs were never touched pre-shipment. Meaning they didnt do a test and just wrote numbers on the valve covers. I was lucky and the engine worked fine!

rtboy02

Jun 14, 2005
highland, utah
D34DC311 said:
I have been looking at this company for a while (like 6 months.) problem i have with their site is no prices and its all call, and i work during their work hours, and i cant call long distance(i work in Nashville TN), I have been refered to this company a lot.know that you have posted this it makes me want to buy from them even more. thnx for the write up on this great company.

Vickie is there until at least 5pm PST... which would be 8pm your time. Hopefully, that gives you a window after work where you can contact them.

On the compression test, you may be right. I am crossing my fingers on my engine that they did the test and it works fine!

Contact info:

http://venus-auto.com/
(916) 386-2286

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
rtboy02 said:
Vickie is there until at least 5pm PST... which would be 8pm your time. Hopefully, that gives you a window after work where you can contact them.

On the compression test, you may be right. I am crossing my fingers on my engine that they did the test and it works fine!

Contact info:

http://venus-auto.com/
(916) 386-2286

O yea, forgot about that lol, Thnx for thinking for me.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I spoke to vickie around 2 months ago inquiring on a 1jz clip....

I trust those people up there...I was totally surprised by a knowledgable woman! ;)

I would give my money to them anyday. Them or JARCO....

Both of those companies have their stuff going on right!

props for the clip! Good luck on the swap!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Check us out if you are shopping around, www.driftmotion.com
Jose has been selling 1j clips through the forums for several years now and we know what to look for in a nice 1j clip. We do a compression and a leakdown test and give you a warranty. We do the swaps too and can answer any questions you may have. Our numbers are on the site. We have a nice one in stock right now with a factory Turbo A bumper with factory cutout in the bumper support. $2600

Last edited:
C

ColinMc

Does anyone have any contact info for Venus Auto? Their site doesn't seem to work...are they still in business?

Thanks,
Colin