BHG repair...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
put the head back on after cleaning it up, and cleaning the block. installing a new TOYOTA HG, block deck is clean, head is clean.

i put the head on and dropped in the ARP studs and for some reason decided NOW would be agood time to splash some oil on the cams since they looked pretty dry, anyway as i was installing the studs i noticed oil leaking out from between the head and the block. the oil pooled in the stud holes and when i started to thread the studs into the block the oil was forced out and some ended up dripping down the side of the block.

you guys think that might keep the HG from sealing?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
personally, (since i'm anal when i work on my car) i wouldnt trust it.

-shaeff

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Clean it.

or

Volunteer your time, effort, and money on that experiment and tell us how it works out:p (If you don't clean it.)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
oil most definitley got in between your mating surfaces...

pull it off and clean it up...and dont do it again ;)

honestly if you run it like this and DONT get another BHG id be very surprised and say you are the luckiest guy in the world :D

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
personally i would avoid pouring to oil on for as long as possible. if you put to oil on first then the oil has all the time between now and when you start the car to drip down off the cams. and when you oil the studs, put the oil on the threads, not in the hole. the oil can puddle in the bottom of the hole and prevent the stud from threading all the way in.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
honestly if you run it like this and DONT get another BHG id be very surprised and say you are the luckiest guy in the world

well so far this has proven to NOT be true :p no big deal, it only takes a few minutes to get the studs out and pull the head back off. wish me luck guys.

thanks for all the responses!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
there's no need for copper spray on a new HG. :(

-shaeff

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
shaeff said:
there's no need for copper spray on a new HG. :(

-shaeff

It does help. It takes the 'bite' out of the machine marks cut into the head & block by the copper melting & filling them in. Of course, this is a subject of controversy....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
new HG's come with a coat already on them...

and i suppose if the machine work was lackluster, it would help.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ive used the copper spray before i had the motor rebuilt. im using it this time too. it can only help the thing to seal, it wont hurt anything.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i want to drive the fcking supraaa! im gonna have to take a few days off from work and stop drinking at night so i can wake up at a decent hour and just go all out and get the fucker running.