Clutch slippage

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Getting clutch slippage in 3-4-5

If im finding oil on my floor mat next to the clutch pedal, its my clutch master cylinder leaking right ??? could that cause...slippage ?? Cause I bought it last year, and the guy told me he had changed it..impossible its already done ..right..unless he never did change it lol.

any other reasons..I just ordered a master cylinder and slave..any chance that solves it ?? or am I goign to have to have a clutch job ?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
sorry to say, yes, your master cylander has pooped itself:( generally, leaking fluid is replaced by air, and when you press the clutch pedal, the air compresses, and makes a spongy pedal, and a clutch that doesnt want to disengage.

if your clutch is stuck (somehow, for some reason) in a half engaged manner, it would slip, but i cant see this happening in this case. perhaps someone with more clutch know-how will chime in.

by the way, if you're doing the Clutch master cylander, and slave cylander, it would be a smart move to get a new clutch softline too, while you're at it! :) good luck!
and post back your findings:)

-shaeff

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Typically when the master and slave go out fluid leaks on the floor and under the tranny. You'll also experience the clutch pedal feeling mushy and sticking to the floor. It usually causes the opposite of slippage, it gets harder to shift gears b/c the slave cylinder isn't pushing the pressure plate far enough to disengage the clutch.

When the clutch goes out you'll experience slippage in the upper gears under boost, after some time the lower gears will start to slip. It's possible your faulty hydraulics are causing slippage, but I would lean more towards an actual clutch problem. Either slipping clutch or debris in the clutch plate system.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
ya, cause mecanically ... its almost impossible that a leaking master would cause slippage.....less pressure in hydraulic means...pressure plate isnt letting off the clutch, so that means it should do the opposite of slipping.

anyone know if those 2 repairs are a big job ??? how much time.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Easy - you can replace both the master and slave plus rebleed the entire thing in 2 hours.

The slippage would be due to a worn clutch, IMO.

Also, the previous owner could have replaced the master with an aftermarket unit, they seem to die in about a year - unlike the stock Toyota part which is likely good for another 15 years. I'd highly recommend springing the extra coin for genuine Toyota parts in this case.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Most parts you purchase from ABC or the like come with a lifetime warranty - I save all of my receipts in my filing cabnet.

The previous owner may have changed the clutch disc but not the pressure plate or flywheel. It is very possible for the pressure plate and flywheel to wear down far enough for your clutch not to work even though the disc is still within specs.