New Metal Sway Bar End-Links?

MTownsupra

Jun 11, 2005
Memphis, TN
I was installing my new sway bars today and it hit me how bad of an idea it was to have plastic end-links tying the bars to the suspension. I had heard people say there were plastic, but it never really hit me that they were like actually flexable plastic (come on Toyota) until I saw them firsthand. Does anyone know where to get some stronger end-links or maybe have any advice on fabricating my own? Any info would be great, thanks.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Not to answer for Bishop but those look like the front end links he built.

The rear end links are plastic i believe because if they were metal the metal tabs on the lower bar would bend and snap off causing you to buy a higher priced part to replace instead of the cheaper plastic end links. The plastic end links would break first. I dont know at what point any of the pieces would break tho.

MTownsupra

Jun 11, 2005
Memphis, TN
Thanks for the info guys. That does look like the front link, and I'm assuming that ones even more important if the stock one is metal to begin with. I will look in to getting some of those in the future, thanks again for the help.

Apr 17, 2005
Lafayette, IN
Halsupramk3 said:
Not to answer for Bishop but those look like the front end links he built.

The rear end links are plastic i believe because if they were metal the metal tabs on the lower bar would bend and snap off causing you to buy a higher priced part to replace instead of the cheaper plastic end links. The plastic end links would break first. I dont know at what point any of the pieces would break tho.

the end link should be able to support a lot of stress. The only reason for it to break would be because it is not aliened correctly or it is in a bind.

I made my own end links using some 4130 chromoly Round stock and bored out the center and taped the ends for heim joints

362269_110_full.jpg

MTownsupra

Jun 11, 2005
Memphis, TN
Wow, those look really nice. Where did you find the chromoly and the joints? And you should really think about making a few sets and selling them here on the site. One more thing, are those fittings to spray grease in the joints or are they something else?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Hal's reasoning is solid, however it's not been the case. I bent and broke the stock mounts, as soon as I put the metal end links on I stopped doing any damage to that system. Been trouble free for the past 4 years.

Apr 17, 2005
Lafayette, IN
MTownsupra said:
Wow, those look really nice. Where did you find the chromoly and the joints? And you should really think about making a few sets and selling them here on the site. One more thing, are those fittings to spray grease in the joints or are they something else?

Thanks. I got the Chormoly form Aircraft spruce along with the joints.

making anymore? If the price was right :wiggle: but most likely one more set for myself. It is a lot of work and cost quit a bit. Drill, Tap, steal and some aluminum tubing for the spacers and the hiem joints, seals..$$$ it is a DIY thing.

And yes the hiems are grease able and i also have Rubber seals that go on each side of the joint to Keep dust out and the Grease in.

another pic installed. On my MR2

362269_113_full.jpg

MTownsupra

Jun 11, 2005
Memphis, TN
Ok cool, and thanks again. Maybe a friend and I will give this project a shot in a little while as I install my new sway bars. Thanks for the info and the fine examples you put together.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I believe the cause for the control arm tabs breaking is from using the inner setting of the rear sway bar.
Brian W