Supra vs Deer: we both lost

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I was doing about 65 down a nice country road when OMG, DEER!!!11!!!1! I saw its head jump out of the grass field to the right, I slammed on the brakes and turned towards its ass to try and dodge it but I caught it right above the bumper on the drivers side. I think 5 or 10mph slower would have saved me, so anyone looking for a lesson in all this can start there. i clipped its legs and sent it hurtling, the good news is that me and my girl are unhurt and the deer had a quick passing, i would absolutely hate to find it immobilized but still alive. Anyway, pics:

normal_DSC_3082.jpg

normal_DSC_3087.jpg

normal_DSC_3182.jpg

normal_DSC_3178.jpg

I have never been in an accident before so I don't know how insurance dealings are supposed to go with these cars. I called Geico and they said this would be covered under my comprehensive with $500 deductible, so I am taking it to their estimator/adjuster shop on monday to get it looked at. The hood is bent at the edge and probably bowed up a little, the fender has a few small dents near the front, the nose panel is toast, the headlight cover and possibly whole assembly is bent, the hood rubber bumper near the headlight/ bracket around the headlight knob is all bent in (not significant if you don't know what part I mean), the front grill, corner light, side marker, and trim are all toast, and the front bumper looks like it got a scratch. Ugh.

What do you guys think, take the insurance money and get my own junkyard parts and paint them or just let a shop do it? So far I haven't had a shop do anything to the car and I kind of don't want to break the streak, but also I don't know how hard the parts are to come by, like that damn nose panel. Insert $0.02 here

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
That is just crazy. Looks to me like it hit more than just legs.

See what kind of check youre going to get from the insurance people first. Then, if its significant, get the parts from a salvage yard or from people here who are parting out their cars.

Then, with the extra cash you hopefully pocketed, send out your ct for a 57 trim upgrade while youre working on the body!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Could be a LOT worse.

Offtopic - I once nailed a moose at night in my '82 Celica. Or he nailed me, I'm not sure. Full grown bull moose is a BIG FREAKING ANIMAL. I was doing about 65 mph, gave it a good solid hit, spun my car around several times in the road... didn't even knock the SOB down.

Ontopic - $500 deductable on a car that the insurance company is unlikely to think is worth more than $1000? That doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
The key to not hitting deer is to have a loud exhaust from my experience. I was driving to work this morning(in my moms avalon) and almost hit 2 deer on a road I drive on everyday. In the supra I never even see any deer. Its a backroad and the deer to people ratio in my county is like 3-1 so I know they're there. But I've never even come close to hitting a deer in my supra. But yea that sucks that one got you. Deer/animals can really mess up a car, not to mention the people in it.

soup

fiend
Apr 4, 2005
Vancouver
Sorry to hear. Best of luck getting it fixed up. 500$ US does sound a lot for a deductable, but I don't know anything about your insurance company.

That drawing killed me!

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Thank god the deer died... I fuckin hate deer. Dont see too many in the supra.. hit one in my f-250 diesel (95) lol... that sucker had NO chance! nailed his head, he fell and the tires ran over him... i was laughin... thats what he gets for running in front of a LOUD ass diesel.....

??supra

Mar 31, 2005
Kodiak, Alaska
first of man sorry to hear that really sucks

on the other hand, my uncle hit a 10 point buck with his 87 monte carlo and the whole front end was wrecked. the hood was crumbled, the bumper cracked in half, and the damn deer got up and walked right away like " hey guy hah fuck you"

p.s. love the drawing

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
You're killing me with that drawing.

Sorry about the damage but the Supra came out a hell of a lot better than my 90 Legend when I smacked a deer.

I had over 4K in damage.

Glad no one got hurt in the Supra.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Sorry bout the car man it really sucks. I can just imagine the thoughts going through your minds.

Girl: oh no that poor dear!
Guy: You god damn $%&^$% dear, look what you did to my car. Wheres reverse!

In aus you have to watch out for kangaroos. My mates family has all hit one, The bastards jump so if you hit them in mid jump, duck! :drink1:

EDIT: Added pic of an aussie hazard. May offend some veiwers.

Attachments

• Skippy.JPG
    Skippy.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
LOL! This thread had me rolling...especially the drawing and the kangaroo talk.

Seriously though, sorry about your loss, but maybe you'll get to fix it for cheaper than you though.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i smell another dylan's how to sticky!!! do it man. you got this!

that drawing is now my desktop. too funny! LMAO! especially the OMGWTFBBQ!!! i'm still laughing!!

sorry to hear about the car dude, but you've got this all under control!

-shaeff

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
wow.. freakin hilarious drawing. Luckily we don't get too many big deer in my neck of the woods, but many a racoon/possum/armored dildo have crossed my path. I now aim for them.. especially if I am in my work truck.

cute cuddly animals that have no idea whats going on - 0 : supra - 999

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Holy crap, love the pic and grim i know how big those moose are, my friend up in AZ killed a moose hunting, 2 miles into the wood, they had to use a chainsaw and cut him into 3 peices and use a 4wheeler to get the damn thing out. it was like 800 something lbs.
so celica VS. moose = go-cart (doing 65mph) Vs. Brick wall.