Tragidy @ 60mph...

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
So I'm cruisin down the road and as I hit 60 MPH the targa FLIES OFF. And yes, the damn thing was bolted down. I dunno wtf happened. Beat it up pretty good but I got the majority out with a rubber mallet. Still f'ked up the paint and warped it I think.

I'm so pissed I can't get anything to go right on this car. Probably wouldn't hurt my feelings if it got taken to a shredder right now ;\

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
damn dude, that really sucks. maybe get some body filler and make some smooth coats over the dents to fill them in, then paint them, just for now till you can get a new targa... it'll look better than having dents in your roof. i'm sure glad my hardtop doesnt fly off.

-shaeff

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Well, I seen this one targa in great shape go for pretty cheap on Ebay; ended @ less than $50.

The first thing I would do is check out the for sale sections or make wanted threads in them. Then check out Ebay.
Then you may just need to paint the new one & not deal with damage at all (which may be timely).
So get looking;) I have had other things happen similiar to this, so that would be my advice.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
PM ideal supra, he is getting/ got two parts cars. perhaps one is a targa. check the forsale section, as i think he listed them in there. good luck!

-shaeff

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
well if whatever holds the targa down isnt ripped out of its original spot..chances are it wasnt bolted ;) I have a hardtop so not sure of the mecaniques of it all.

Really sucks, and man can I cant even imagine the face u made when it flew off :eek: , had to be a Kodak moment ;)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Instantly made me think of the fast and the furious moment when paul pushes the targa off the supra at highway speeds. I hear that the targa lifts up the faster you go, cause of suction of the air moving over it. I heard in a thread on the forum before the bad day, that it can raise about an inch, but you'd probably have to go really fast for an inch of travel.
eric

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
All I know is that I did 135MPH in my targa with it on & off, and in the five years of having it, it was always secure. In the summer, I dont even tighten up the back screws, but just the front, & it is still very secure. A fellow supra owner told me not to bother with the back screws during times of the year that removal will be frequent. He told me that when I first got the car. I took what he had to say because his whole family is full of mechanics & he too is very mechanically inclined.
Now however, I am not so sure that it is good for the seals to only tighten the front & not the back as this may compresses the targa seals at different points using both methods.

Just needed to say some of that because when I wanted to buy a targa, some sellers told me to stay away from targas & gave me reasons that I now find to be not so true for me & my purposes for my car.
Well, I bought one anyways & may just be the biggest targa lover out there.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
over 120mph several times with mine.......no perceptable movement or travel....something broke or it wasn't secured. either way, shitty

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There are 4 bolts holding it in, even if 1 broke it wouldn't go anywhere... I had my brother leave the front ones unbolted one time and all it did was wiggle a bit when I went over a bump...

Either something is really messed up with all 4 bolts, or it wasn't bolted down. You sure it was bolted down? Are the bolts stripped? Targa? If not I dunno...

L

lanky189

Eek.

That's what we call a "Paul Walker"

i mean great....now me and the mad scientist are gonna hafta tear it apart......

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Tony Mawad said:
In the summer, I dont even tighten up the back screws, but just the front, & it is still very secure. A fellow supra owner told me not to bother with the back screws during times of the year that removal will be frequent. He told me that when I first got the car.

That's what I did all last summer, and plan to do this summer once I get the new car. I never had any problems, it would rattle going over bumps but that wasn't anything major.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Can't answer for Loki, but for me, I take it off that frequently.
In my case, I don't hear it rattle at all though. Seems just as secure.
Only concern is the seals for me as I mentioned though.
Been doing it for 5 years without a problem.