smokey turbo??? help!

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Ok so heres whats happening, I need advise and help. My 7mgte just started to blow smoke about 2 weeks ago. Now sometimes its on start up but only a little puff, but its mostly while decelerating and coming to an idle. When I fire it up it blows a nice bit of oil out the pipe and mum gets real happy about the mess I leave on her tiles :rant2:. It always starts like a charm however. Now I have read all the post bout smoking but each case is slightly different so this is mine. I did a compression test this morning and came up with these numbers.

1: 164
2: 165
3: 165
4: 163
5: 166
6: 165

So can I rule out rings and valves. My tempreture is perfect so I don't think its a BHG? That really only leaves the turbo. I pretty sure it is the turbo but I would really appreciate anyone elses opinion about it. Thanks In advnce

Also I have read the thread about rebuilding your ct26. I found these on Ebay and am wondering what yall think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7979260869&category=33742

Are they worth it or should I just go and get something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7978824712&category=33742

Thanks once again.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Quick thing to do is pull the O2 sensor. See if it has a good coating of oil on it, if it does, prolly your turbo seals.

If you can tell by that, pull the turbo elbow and inspect that and the exhaust side of the turbo housing. That should tell you what you need to know.

Again if there's any oil residue, your turbo seals are shot. If none, then could be valve seals.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
k will do real soon. Gotta work today. Started the car yesterday and it sounded like a 454 big block crossed with a wrx. Pulled the plugs again and number 6 was snaped in half. :drink1:

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
When a car hits fuel cut, is it detonating for a second? Ive been hitting cut for a while could this have caused it?

supraredliner

Oldschool player
May 8, 2005
NC
It depends on how much boost you where running. It's very possible. As for the smoking and blowing oil, you can't rule out valve seals with a compresion test alone. Or the rings for that matter. Take your intake off and try to "wiggle" the turbine on the turbo, if it moves you should ether get it rebuilt or get a new/used turbo. If that checks out Do a "Wet/Dry compression test" The piston rings can be good while the oil rings are bad. So a normal compression test won't help you much. What you need to do is check your compression, which you've already done. This is known as the Dry Test. Next pour some oil into each cylinder and check the compression again. If the numbers go up you gold. but if they stay the same the oil is leaking down past the rings. One of these "tests" should help you solve the problem. I had the same problem with my 87 turbo when I first got it, A shop told me it was the valve seals, but it wasn't. In the end a 150 dollar ct-26 from Raymond Fong "Racetek82" and a couple hours under the hood and she was good as new.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Oh yeah i did a wet test as well, numbers went sky high :icon_roll . < hes kinda looking up.

Edit: Mum was so pissed when I started the car and covered the neighbourhood in smoke for the next 5 mins.!!! Hella funny pulling up next to someone in traffic and you cant see them through the smoke!

Im going to check the turbo (exhaust side and shaft play) next chance I get, Going to sydney for two days for the state of origin game in a few days so when I get back. Woops no one here has a clue what that is. Oh well. Thanks for the input guys!! really appreciate it!