Oil pump question/crank question

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
I was going back and forth between whether I should buy a new oil pump for my jdm 7mgte. The inside of the engine was immaculate and the oil pump seems to be fine. Do you guys usually swap these out before you swap in the motor? I know what I "should" do but what's you guys opinion on it?

Also, I was prepping the crank and noticed that my crank says 6M on it. Does this mean my 7mgte is from the earlier years (86.5-88)?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you have the spare coin, by all means, replace the oil pump while you have the engine out - it's really just cheap insurance. Next time I tear out my engine I'll be doing a few mods to the oiling system - for the same reason.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
^Sorry to disagree with a homie, but I feel:

I am going the 'keep it' route, as far as the oil pump goes. I mic'd and measured all clearances - they are perfect after 143Kms - so why change it.
DeanMarcum (a member of other forums) once said that he mic'd brand new pumps that did not meet specs. If there is no wear and the specs are 'on the money', why change it?
Keep in mind:
1) The oil pump always has oil it, unlike the cams & cam saddles (when you first start up) so wearing it out is harder than other components.
2) The oil pump has little force acting against it, unlike other parts such as cams within their cam saddles, because each valve spring exerts 35lbs – times two valves springs at a time (70lbs), times six lobes per revolution.

I would definitely check out the oil pump as the TSRM states, and not just assume it is good. There are a bunch of things to check for also.

6M crank = you got the 5lb lighter, quicker revving, higher stock redlined crank, which was balanced enough to show no wear on my journals or bearings – so as I said, “balanced enough” despite it not having the counterbalances opposite number 2 & 5 journals (like the 7M crank has).

More info on cranks can be looked up in searches, but I summed it up.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Tony has some very valid points. When I dissassembled my oil pump, I noticed that there isn't a whole lot to wear inside one in the first place.

I'm not saying it's a requirement, just that it can't hurt - most people who have the engine out anyhow, an oil pump is not a large expense to repace at the same time.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
point 2: in Tony's post
There's a HUGE load on the pump at anything over idle......

Worth checking clearances before buying a new pump and if it's just loose on the end float you can use a sheet of glass and some wet/dry sandpaper on the pump body and end plate to close it back down to spec.

Justin727

T-virus infected
i roll jdm and didnt change the oil pump. mines fine.. depends on how it looks when i tear it apart... if its shabby it will be replaced if not it will be cleaned and reused! no harm in getting a new one anyways if you would like the added insurance! hell its toyota it can't be bad brand new!

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
and with regards to being a pre 89.5 or +
does the block have squirters?
if not... then she's an 86-89.5 block
i have seen 89's with squirters and 6m crank also..

(89.5.. has this actually been clarified yet... when the crank change was "actually" made?)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
suprra_girl said:
and with regards to being a pre 89.5 or +
does the block have squirters?
if not... then she's an 86-89.5 block
i have seen 89's with squirters and 6m crank also..

(89.5.. has this actually been clarified yet... when the crank change was "actually" made?)

Haven't confirmed when the crank changed yet to the month, however, it was in 89.

However, all of our turbo engines had oil squirters here, doesn't matter what year. All N/A's didn't.